Ticking noise after replacing a/c belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrsteef

Reaction score
So I had a normal worn screeching belt found it to be the ac belt. Changed the belt myself with the whole bike chain method. Ever since then I have this ticking noise that happens, normally on a cold start up and after a while it quiets down. But it’s still there. Sometimes it sounds like it’s a lifter at the top of the drivers side and other times it sounds like bottom end on the passenger side. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak sometimes. But it never completely goes away

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
May have loosened a spark plug wire and it’s detonation occurring until the heat of the motor expands everything and bridges the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure all the exhaust manifold bolts are in place, they like to fall out, or the head pops off, then leaks when cold and once warm the leak stops. the bolts on the ends front and back of the engine are most common to break or be missing.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove belt from cold engine, start engine and listen. This will eliminate the belt, pulleys and accessories. Dont run it for more than a minute or two.
If you dont hear it anymore then one of them is the issue, while the belt is off spin each by hand and listen or feel.

I just had a ticking also and my idler pulley seized up on my vette on the way to work 2 weeks ago.......it troubleshot itself, lol.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Well just had my motor mounts changed out with Hummer mounts and a new trans mount because all of them were cracked and the noise disappeared. I’m thinking the mounts were so bad that the exhaust or something may have been moving enough to tap on something. Hopefully it doesn’t come back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24