Thumping from the rear end on a right turn.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Fox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Completed a 230 mi trip last night got to my street where I live turned right and it felt and sounded like I had a flat tire got out and checked all the tires were good continued to pull into my driveway and when turning right I felt it again it came from the rear I've checked brakes and drums all that seems normal. It's definitely coming from the rear I have pulled the differential cover off and I'm going to change the fluids today.I'm thinking something to do with the g80 locker Any helpful tips? (3.42 rear g80)

20210308_115759.jpg 20210308_115804.jpg Should the fluid have a lot of air in it?

OP
OP
B-Fox

B-Fox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No the gear oil should not have bubble in it.

Have you done any offroading? Looks like someone put the wrong fluid in there
I haven't done any off-roading and this apparently seems to be the first time this cover has been removed. Only has 94,000 original miles. The gentleman at the auto store told me he suspects the air vent at the top needs inspected it may have got moisture in too the rear end.

OP
OP
B-Fox

B-Fox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed on checking those bearings and seals
Bearings and seals seem to be okay no unnecessary movement on the wheels pushing pulling or tugging. After I checked the brakes I put the drums back on and took it for a drive no issue, which has me puzzled. I'm putting new differential fluid in now new gasket and replacing the cover after I clean everything out with break cleaner.

OP
OP
B-Fox

B-Fox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Job complete :)
everything is back together, no leaks. I did my circle 8's in a parking lot and then ride through town. So far no noises or symptoms of anything wrong.

Also changed engine oil and spark plugs while I was at it. I think plugs were original (94,000mile) Advance auto said they don't sell the these numbers anymore. AC 41-932
20210308_165231.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157