Throw in the Towel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phillydog07

Reaction score
I am the point where I'm wondering if it's a good idea to throw in the towel with my Tahoe. It's a 1997 4D 4WD with 251,000 miles. I was stoked when I hit 250,000. I felt like a proud father. Unfortunately, I'm at the point where I don't know if it makes sense to keep fixing her up or if I should save the cash I would be spending on her to get a newer model.

There are two factors that really complicate my decision. First, I want a Tahoe, which means a newer car is going to be more expensive than if I were a Japanese sedan kind of guy. Second, this is the first car I've ever owned, so there's the nostalgia factor.

There are, however, a lot of things that need work. New tires, new brakes, a power steering leak, a possible brake fluid leak, needs a new oil filter adapter gasket, new driver's side inside and outside handles, the driver's seat needs a new bolt, the carpet needs be professionally cleaned yesterday, there's rust in places that would be very expensive to fix, she probably needs an alignment, and the cooling system seems to spring a new leak every 4-5,000 miles. Oh yeah, and my spare tire fell out from underneath me a month or so ago; it's currently sitting in the back.

The only real mechanical "upsides" are the engine (no explanation needed) and the tranny, which was rebuilt at 186,000 miles.

So, I guess I'm just looking for the forum's take on my situation. What are your experiences with these trucks after 250,000 miles? Should I just throw in the towel and get a NBS with (much) lower miles, or does my truck have a fewer years left in her?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would say in your case the body condition would be the determining factor. If you can't keep it together body wise you are better off finding a replacement and saving the old for parts.

OP
OP
P

phillydog07

Reaction score
I would say in your case the body condition would be the determining factor. If you can't keep it together body wise you are better off finding a replacement and saving the old for parts.

That's the sensible thing, I know. I've even got a '03 with 107,000 miles that I've got my eye on. I think the biggest hurdle will be the fact that this was my first car....it's the car I learned how to do an oil change on, how to replace shocks...etc. It's the car that got me through college, has helped numerous friends move apartments multiple times, and really got me interested in cars.

Anyways, enough emo time. Any thoughts on this NBS hoe? 2003 107,000 miles $9,910.

http://www.carsoup.com/myfox9/used-...laWRzPW1vZGVseWVhciZtb2RlbHllYXI9MjAwMw%7e%7e

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would like to offer one other option. While still spending a very small investment of cash and a lot of elbow grease why not keep your old one if possible and work on restoring the body are at least slow down the deterioration as much as possible. Learn from here on how to take care of the things you needs to do as the priorities are set. But first use enough money to purchase the one you mentioned(well optioned by the way-Read the link below for the build sheet). You will have your daily driver a project on if you like. And when down have old and new. Just a thought.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1GNEK13Z73J315271

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the OBS trucks. I had a chance for NBS and saw the old burban and bought it right on the spot. I like the square look they have and I think they are built well. My dad has a 2004 with 160K on it and so far no issues but too much plastic on it for me.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the OBS trucks. I had a chance for NBS and saw the old burban and bought it right on the spot. I like the square look they have and I think they are built well. My dad has a 2004 with 160K on it and so far no issues but too much plastic on it for me.

Dont get me wrong when I say this but you are nuts! lol

The NBS drive, handle, and stop better among 100 other things. Again dont get me wrong I have OBS but the first time I drove the NBS I thought I was in a Range Rover thats how better it felt! JMHO!

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2dr or 4dr? That would be my question. If it's a 4dr then it's an easy decision to jsut get another. 2dr and you could have a hard time finding a good one with lower miles. Post some pics.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the NBS trucks drive like a car (soft suspension). I never drove a 6.0 but the 5.3 is nothing to write home about. Repair cost way more money also. The brakes are nicer, but with a few simple changes on the OBS trucks ours will feel the same way or at least close. One huge difference is in the master cyliner, the bore size is smaller on ours not allowing as much pressure to the brakes as the NBS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman