Throttle Body Relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced the Throttle Body on our 2014 Suburban LT and went through the relearn procedures.

Ran it for 3 minutes but it's at 3040 rpm for 15 seconds, drops to 2640 for 5 seconds and then back up to 3040. It does this over and over again.

I shut it off and waited 60 seconds as instructed. Started and for the next 3 minutes it did the same high rpm.

I did this for 4 rounds and nothing has changed and I don't see any relearn instructions that state it should be doing this.

Bad part or am I doing something wrong?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the Throttle Body on our 2014 Suburban LT and went through the relearn procedures.

Ran it for 3 minutes but it's at 3040 rpm for 15 seconds, drops to 2640 for 5 seconds and then back up to 3040. It does this over and over again.

I shut it off and waited 60 seconds as instructed. Started and for the next 3 minutes it did the same high rpm.

I did this for 4 rounds and nothing has changed and I don't see any relearn instructions that state it should be doing this.

Bad part or am I doing something wrong?
Happens sometimes. Scan for codes and if you get throttle body related codes, clear them out. If the idle speed is still high, drive it at speeds above 45 mph and make several accelerations and decelerations. Then restart it and let it idle for 3 more minutes. Hopefully that should do it.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cleared codes, started and idled at about 1500k.

Drove it for about 30 minutes, most of it above 45 mph. I accelerated and decelerated quite a few times. It also did this on its own. As codes were detected, I cleared them.

With foot off of gas, it would pull along at 45-50 mph. Idle at stop light would be between 750-1000 rpm.

Pulled in driveway, put in park and the idle revved up to 3k again.

Ran codes again and says P0300 Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected and P0507 Idle Control System RPM Higher than expected.

What in the world is going on?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleared codes, started and idled at about 1500k.

Drove it for about 30 minutes, most of it above 45 mph. I accelerated and decelerated quite a few times. It also did this on its own. As codes were detected, I cleared them.

With foot off of gas, it would pull along at 45-50 mph. Idle at stop light would be between 750-1000 rpm.

Pulled in driveway, put in park and the idle revved up to 3k again.

Ran codes again and says P0300 Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected and P0507 Idle Control System RPM Higher than expected.

What in the world is going on?
I would clear the codes, disconnect the battery, while the battery is disconnected take the maf off and clean it, put it back on.
re-connect battery and drive it.
double check your work make sure you didn't unplug anything else and that the intake is on correctly, leaking un-metered air would be a problem
I have cleaned and changed and I even changed mine to a ls3 throttle body and it plug-n-played, never have had any issue

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did all that. Left battery disconnected for a couple of hours.

Started it up, revved to about 2k and then settled to about 8-900 and stayed. Let run for 3 minutes.

Turned off an let sit for 1 minute. When I started it again, it produced the same 2 codes and went back to idling at 3k.

I have no idea what could be wrong except for a bad new unit?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did all that. Left battery disconnected for a couple of hours.

Started it up, revved to about 2k and then settled to about 8-900 and stayed. Let run for 3 minutes.

Turned off an let sit for 1 minute. When I started it again, it produced the same 2 codes and went back to idling at 3k.

I have no idea what could be wrong except for a bad new unit?
every once in a while we hear about some one having to have it learned with a tech2, but myself and many others have never had to do it, shoot even when I had my 00 with drive by cable and I had to replace the iac it corrected it's self in about 30 seconds.
did you buy a oem one or a aftermarket?

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why did you replace it and do you have the old one?

The reason is with my other thread; https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tps-issue.139288/

every once in a while we hear about some one having to have it learned with a tech2, but myself and many others have never had to do it, shoot even when I had my 00 with drive by cable and I had to replace the iac it corrected it's self in about 30 seconds.
did you buy a oem one or a aftermarket?

GM Genuine.

Going to put the old one back in and get this one exchanged. Thankfully it's quick and easy to replace.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM Throttle body is a Hitachi.. So if you bought a reman or another brand that is
probably the case...
Also: why did you replace it to begin with????

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OEM Throttle body is a Hitachi.. So if you bought a reman or another brand that is
probably the case...
Also: why did you replace it to begin with????
Here's photos of the OEM that was on my vehicle and a pic of the new ACDelco. Where does it say Hitachi is OEM?

IMG_20230212_104906198.jpg

IMG_20230212_104325012_HDR.jpg

Both have the GM stamp, same model # and QR Code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe