Thoughts on MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakcol997

Reaction score
Ive noticed I am usually able to get around 10-12 MPG, but lately, im getting 6.8... is there any sort of suggestions/mods I can do to save my wallet the heartache??? I'm open to ANYTHING. once I get the extra $270, I'll more than likely get the newer injector. Just have to save up a bit!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tune up stuff, tires ect all play a part. that is pretty bad tho, I am not getting that bad with my 8.1. with that noticeable of a drop there has to be something. any codes? even if not may be able to get some basic data and compare to normal ranges.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 does pretty good generally but alot of differences in your vehicle to mine can have an effect. however a drop in mpg like that you probably have something wrong. when was the last time a proper tuneup was done. how many miles are on the truck. can you give us any specific details like do you know what gearing you have in the rear. knowing more details can help the people more knowledgeable with the 90s trucks know where your mpg should be.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
my 97 does pretty good generally but alot of differences in your vehicle to mine can have an effect. however a drop in mpg like that you probably have something wrong. when was the last time a proper tuneup was done. how many miles are on the truck. can you give us any specific details like do you know what gearing you have in the rear. knowing more details can help the people more knowledgeable with the 90s trucks know where your mpg should be.
I just did a full tune up- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter back in October, did an oil change on the like 3rd of February, my rear axle (positraction limited slip dup of 5x1) is 3.73. That’s what google told me with my RPO Code! I’m riding with 265/75R/16 trailfinders, no lifts or anything like that.. what more info could ya need?

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
I just did a full tune up- plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter back in October, did an oil change on the like 3rd of February, my rear axle (positraction limited slip dup of 5x1) is 3.73. That’s what google told me with my RPO Code! I’m riding with 265/75R/16 trailfinders, no lifts or anything like that.. what more info could ya need?
I just filled up with gas. Trip read 156.7 miles and had to put 19.7 gallons in. That clocks me at about 8 mpg..

iCajun

Reaction score
Is it also harder to start when hot? I had a bad fuel pressure regulator some years ago.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya pretty sure you have something going on. not sure what to point you at but you should be able to get better than that. maybe your cats are getting bad forcing the engine to struggle more to do what it should be able to do. intake gasket maybe but id assume you should be seeing other symptoms besides poor gas mileage.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
ya pretty sure you have something going on. not sure what to point you at but you should be able to get better than that. maybe your cats are getting bad forcing the engine to struggle more to do what it should be able to do. intake gasket maybe but id assume you should be seeing other symptoms besides poor gas mileage.
Any suggestions on what to buy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts