This sound like a bad brake hose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the car kind of laboring on the way home, like it was heat soaked or something. Didn’t pull, didn’t smell anything, I pull in the driveway and it feels like the brakes are sticking a little. I get out and the passenger front wheel smells of brake lining material if I get up close to it.

This same thing happened a couple weeks ago, and I changed and greased the guide pins for that side. I filed the brake pads off, because they were glazed and put it back together, all was good until yesterday.

I ordered a brake hose for that side, and I’m going to replace it and see if that fixes it, if that don’t, I will replace the caliper.

It was fine on the way in to work this morning, I’ve just never experienced something that comes and goes like this. It did the same thing to me while I was on vacation about a month ago, after the car sat overnight it was back to normal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the car kind of laboring on the way home, like it was heat soaked or something. Didn’t pull, didn’t smell anything, I pull in the driveway and it feels like the brakes are sticking a little. I get out and the passenger front wheel smells of brake lining material if I get up close to it.

This same thing happened a couple weeks ago, and I changed and greased the guide pins for that side. I filed the brake pads off, because they were glazed and put it back together, all was good until yesterday.

I ordered a brake hose for that side, and I’m going to replace it and see if that fixes it, if that don’t, I will replace the caliper.

It was fine on the way in to work this morning, I’ve just never experienced something that comes and goes like this. It did the same thing to me while I was on vacation about a month ago, after the car sat overnight it was back to normal.

My vote is for the caliper.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the caliper.
Being that it has dual pistons, wouldn't one side of the brake pad wear more than the other if it was a caliper piston hanging up? I wouldn't think both pistons would hang up at the same time. Pads were nice and flat. I purchased this car new and always have flushed the brake fluid.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that it has dual pistons, wouldn't one side of the brake pad wear more than the other if it was a caliper piston hanging up? I wouldn't think both pistons would hang up at the same time. Pads were nice and flat. I purchased this car new and always have flushed the brake fluid.

IDK.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your vehicle? My first guess would be the caliper as well. Unless your brake hose is separating on the inside and is acting like some sort of check valve restricting the fluid from releasing the caliper, I don’t see that as a likely cause.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your vehicle? My first guess would be the caliper as well. Unless your brake hose is separating on the inside and is acting like some sort of check valve restricting the fluid from releasing the caliper, I don’t see that as a likely cause.
121k Only seems to do it when it's hot.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only does it hot, I'd be betting caliper. The hose will usually just refuse to let fluid flow all the time. I'd verify though, since you could have a hose that's collapsed some but things only act locked up after all the parts heat up.

Had a hose collapse on our 98 Dakota R/T. I later found out it's a fairly common thing on Dodge trucks. It's the first time I'd ever experienced it. But even cold, I could jack a wheel off the ground, and it was hard to turn.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After posting yesterday I came across a youtube video showing one pad hardly worn, and the other worn down to the metal, but not evenly. It was said that those were symptoms of the guide pins sticking, one of the two but also mentioned that a crooked piston inside the caliper could do it as well. You're on the right track in the process of elimination.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem has not came back yet, but I replaced the brake hose yesterday with an AC delco one, we will see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid