Thinking about purchasing a 2016 Tahoe z71, questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
First post here, The wife and I are looking at upgrading from her 2010 Volvo XC90 to something with a little more room and power. Our neighbors daughter is selling their 2016 Tahoe to purchase a truck. It currently has 23k miles and has a extended gm warranty out to July 9th 2022, he said it covered everything. What are the general thoughts on the 2016 models? My wife likes this particular car because it has the bench seat and we have a 6 yo and 16 month old, she sits in the back with them on occasion. We normally keep cars for 8-10 years and put roughly 10-11k Miles a year on a vehicle. Are Tahoe’s a 100k mile vehicle, 200k with proper maintenance?

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post here, The wife and I are looking at upgrading from her 2010 Volvo XC90 to something with a little more room and power. Our neighbors daughter is selling their 2016 Tahoe to purchase a truck. It currently has 23k miles and has a extended gm warranty out to July 9th 2022, he said it covered everything. What are the general thoughts on the 2016 models? My wife likes this particular car because it has the bench seat and we have a 6 yo and 16 month old, she sits in the back with them on occasion. We normally keep cars for 8-10 years and put roughly 10-11k Miles a year on a vehicle. Are Tahoe’s a 100k mile vehicle, 200k with proper maintenance?

Sue sounds like a deal if you can get it at the right price. You will love the Tahoe for the family for all the safety features and the options for creature comforts. If properly maintained you can easily expect 200K from the truck and with the extended warranty its a big bonus. I drive a 2106 Tahoe and the wife has a 2015 Yukon. I wanted a bench seat in my tahoe but couldn't find one, those go pretty quick. Good luck with your decision,

OP
OP
L

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
I think I can get it in the 42-43 range. We were looking to spend around 40 but know the car and driver helps.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure you would enjoy it. You have the advantage of buying used from a known person(neighbor)and the extended warranty(added value)plus it comes equipped the way you want. You and your wife drive it and if you like it buy it.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had an '09 XC70 for about 8 years. It was my wife's car and our Tahoe is mine, but our indie was aware of all the comings and goings. He told me he was thrilled that we purchased a Tahoe, and not because he expected to see it in a lot. They have a very proven powertrain, doesn't break a lot and not expensive to fix when it does. Lots of parts around and people who know how to work on 'em.

My guess is that coming from a Volvo (and we loved ours), you would enjoy the financial end of a Tahoe down the road.

As a daily driver I find I like mine much more than I thought I would have. I came to a Tahoe from 2 consecutive BMW 5 series and a BMW X5 before those. It's a vastly different vehicle, obviously, but very good at what it's supposed to be good at.

Amanda4461

Reaction score
Just traded my 2010 Tahoe with 143,000 miles for a 2018 Yukon. The only troubles I had with the Tahoe was the dash crack problem that era was known for, and the air-ride suspension compressor craps out every few years. Change the oil and fluids regularly and they just keep on truckin. I used a windshield sunlight screen to keep the dashboard cool after the 3rd crack cost me $300 to replace it (the dealer was generous or it would have been $1400). I replace the compressor for the shocks with a Dorman unit that has a replacement warranty, and I used the free replacement policy twice. It is a 15 minute swap, so no big expense in time or money. Looking at about $125 for a new compressor. OEM is $500 at the dealer. Unlike many, my AFM seemed to work fine. I changed the lube oil filter to the lifter gallery at 100,000 miles, but the V4 to V8 issue never caused any problems. Exercise the rear windows every week or so, if you don't use them. Otherwise, the window regulators will fail early.
Amanda4461

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts