There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got that cut within the first 5 minutes this morning. I grabbed a shop towel and just kept wiping the blood off and pressing down and within 15-20 minutes the bleeding stopped.

I will be getting more nicks tomorrow morning. I have an 08 4Runner in my driveway right now that I will be doing front pads, calipers and rotors on. Also doing a rear diff drain and fill.

Next week I will be getting engine out and new one in and hooking everything up. Next weekend I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee coming in for the dreaded money making, oil filter housing/cooler assembly replacement because of the common oil leak on the Penstar 3.2 and 3.6 engines. This will be the 3rd one I will be doing in less than a year. The straight ahead engines, like this one, take a little longer because need to remove the cowling and all the connections and hose is in the back. Transverse is easier.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had a 2008 4Runner here this morning for new pads, rotors, calipers for a front brake pulsation. Also drain and fill the rear diff for noise after the fluid was changed by dealer about 20k ago. Took front tires off and discovered d/s inner cv boot torn and slinging grease. I did the p/s axle and hub/bearing 3 weeks ago and checked the d/s and was intact and no tears and no grease slinging. Because of labor overlap, I went and got the axle for the d/s and she is also doing the hub/bearing and she is going to get back to me in 2 weeks and do it all at once. I went ahead and did the rear diff fluid change. Let it drain and sprayed brake clean in the fill hole and washed it out nicely. Unfortunately, the old fluid was grey and particles on the drain plug magnet. I would expect what I saw on first change but this is the 3rd change on a 128k miles rig. Refilled with 75w-90 synthetic, 3.2 quarts, delivered to her and was quieter but she knows she has an upcoming decision. I have tried for 6 months to buy the 4Runner from her for $12k. I even told her I would give her money back for the recent p/s axle and hub/bearing and pay her for all the new brake parts and left axle and hub/bearing and would pay her for the fluid for rear diff. She is thinking about it.......

20240413_090523.jpg

20240413_090608.jpg

20240413_093157.jpg

20240413_094806.jpg

20240413_094901.jpg

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a 2008 4Runner here this morning for new pads, rotors, calipers for a front brake pulsation. Also drain and fill the rear diff for noise after the fluid was changed by dealer about 20k ago. Took front tires off and discovered d/s inner cv boot torn and slinging grease. I did the p/s axle and hub/bearing 3 weeks ago and checked the d/s and was intact and no tears and no grease slinging. Because of labor overlap, I went and got the axle for the d/s and she is also doing the hub/bearing and she is going to get back to me in 2 weeks and do it all at once. I went ahead and did the rear diff fluid change. Let it drain and sprayed brake clean in the fill hole and washed it out nicely. Unfortunately, the old fluid was grey and particles on the drain plug magnet. I would expect what I saw on first change but this is the 3rd change on a 128k miles rig. Refilled with 75w-90 synthetic, 3.2 quarts, delivered to her and was quieter but she knows she has an upcoming decision. I have tried for 6 months to buy the 4Runner from her for $12k. I even told her I would give her money back for the recent p/s axle and hub/bearing and pay her for all the new brake parts and left axle and hub/bearing and would pay her for the fluid for rear diff. She is thinking about it.......

View attachment 426040

View attachment 426041

View attachment 426042

View attachment 426043

View attachment 426044

Those BFG AT's probably aren't helping things IMHO. Big and heavy rotating mass.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was in shops, Jasper did not sell to the open public. Had to buy from a shop because they would only ship to a shop.

I sold enough engines one year that they took me and a couple other service managers in my area, and drove us from KC, Mo. area to Indianapolis for the 2nd Brickyard 400. That was the year there was a long rain delay, finished race at dusk because at that time the track had no lights and Dale Earnhart won that race. I got to go in the infield where the sponsors tents were and race team tents were and go thru the "chow" line at the Jasper tent to eat. They drove us there the day before and we had rooms at some hotel and Jasper paid for all our food and even booze while driving to and from the track back to KC. I had a big bag that I had lots of souvenirs in that I bought for people that knew I was going. I was dead tired when they dropped me off at my truck at the shop I worked at, where I had left it inside the shop.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They arent as good as they once were.

We had a Jasper engine 4.8LS that we installed in one of our shop trucks last October.

It failed on startup.

The next engine has had lifter issues on cylinder 7 ever sense, and getting them to cover that has been a nightmare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsaget