The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a little help here. Just got in my Tech2 clone from China Car Diags. While exploring, I can see somethings. For other areas, I get this message.

10baa3c78f9c0a432254787c0e85d42c.jpg

One example is when I’m accessing the TCM. The initial attempt was without the CANdi module, but the Tech2 told me it was missing.

I’m sure (hoping) it’s operator error. Any help is appreciated. I did review a couple videos to familiarize myself with hooking it up. Let me know additional info needed to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which module specifically gave you this message? Do you have it as an option on your car? Did you try it with the ignition on or off or with the motor running?

When "building" a 2012, did you use the chassis code "2" for 4WD?

Mine used to talk to GMT800 and other like vehicles but does not regularly do so anymore. I think it has something to do with my VCI Module but am just guessing. After four years I have replaced the PCMCIA card, several OBDII connectors and the cable. But I still use the old cable and both PCMCIA cards are installed in the slots should I need to swap them for whatever reason. It has seen almost daily use for four years.

Once you build the truck, a main menu comes up, my memory fails me at the moment as to what it is called but you want to select the last option. This option queries all installed modules and checks them for trouble codes. My Yukon has 28 modules but not all are active like side blind zone alert (Denali option my year) and the Sierra has 24 modules including for rear heated seats when it has none. At the end of the search, it will start over or give you the option of viewing the codes it has found. While querying the modules, some of them it will say cannot communicate with, which usually means it is not there or it is dead. I've never seen the latter.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received this message while trying to access the Transmission Control Module. I tried both with the ignition in the on position and with the engine running. I also was powering the Tech2 via the wall outlet adapter with the other end plugged into the cable and not the Tech2 itself.

I thought the chassis code for 4WD is "K" vs "C" for 2WD?

I pulled my build sheet from GM and believe I selected the wrong engine (LM7 instead of LC9). I'll correct that and report back with my findings. EDIT: I’m getting my engine RPOs mixed up. I did select the correct engine (LC9).

Last edited:

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, @Rocket Man is today's winner. I shoved the connectors together with a good bit of force and it didn't give me trouble accessing the TCM and a few other menu items I looked at.

@swathdiver I tried your suggestion in the last paragraph of your response and got 27 modules. Two of which are missing...not sure what the aux. BCM would be for. Any ideas? I don't have the power assist steps so that makes sense. Although, I am looking into adding them. Got to finish building the harness and find a good set of steps.

1d2539d8334f5a9980d5193b13009922.jpg

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And by the way, how the heck to you resent the transmission oil life monitor? I found the reading (20%), but I did a full fluid/filter change about 6 mos/4k miles ago.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, @Rocket Man is today's winner. I shoved the connectors together with a good bit of force and it didn't give me trouble accessing the TCM and a few other menu items I looked at.

@swathdiver I tried your suggestion in the last paragraph of your response and got 27 modules. Two of which are missing...not sure what the aux. BCM would be for. Any ideas? I don't have the power assist steps so that makes sense. Although, I am looking into adding them. Got to finish building the harness and find a good set of steps.

1d2539d8334f5a9980d5193b13009922.jpg

Good! The Auxiliary BCM is for foreign sales and some kind of other alarm system. Someone on here was getting rid of their factory amp steps the other day. I forget who and which vehicle though. Maybe someone else will remember.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be so needy. I’m in the TCM special functions menu and see these options. Looking through them, I don’t see an option to reset the fluid life percentage.

5e6d8feb38e3ace7f7bcd083c10e8a61.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry to be so needy. I’m in the TCM special functions menu and see these options. Looking through them, I don’t see an option to reset the fluid life percentage.

5e6d8feb38e3ace7f7bcd083c10e8a61.jpg

It's under the trans modual setup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that like pics:

From the TCM screen, go to Module Setup

70515055fb67af97bc74584a75b6980f.jpg

Select to reset

a15c3ea9e5c67053ec19f9e1f2774bbc.jpg