Test drove a 2023 Tahoe/Lost front driver side wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No way she "pulled out" and went "one block" without hearing something or losing wheel right away, if had no lug nuts on it. It would have never been pulled out and parked without incident. What does the wheel look like. The stud closest to the caliper looks like it has remnants of lug nut pieces on it or wheel aluminum shavings.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if they really do fix it like new and give you a great deal go for it
I tend to inspect things basiclly by nature and also for a living so my advice if you decide to move forward with it, when you go to look at it again take a flashlight and have them put it up on a lift so you can inspect it yourself very closely if you see any scratches or marks under the body anyhwere then it is not "like new" and this gives you even more bargening power. also as already mentioned ask for the invoice of the repairs you should see minimum quarter panel, rotor, knuckle, lower valence, maybe a running board. the door could have been pinched when it was opened after the accident that is likely repairable. Inspect the drivers side upper pillar very close run your hand over it as any bending may not be visible to the eye, check all the alignments of the front end clip (both sides) and hood

Tahoered

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is indeed perfect when you come back to decide if your going to buy it AND the price came down because well it has technically been damaged. id still buy it but obviously i wouldn't use them for servicing lol.
actually had this happen before but it wasn't something new but we did really like it. my experience was the shop did a full service and a few repair items. one of which apparently had something to do with the driver side axle nut. pulled the hub in half ripped the brake line off and beat up the lower a arm. came back and indeed everything had been replaced price drop and they threw in some extras.
either way its why im not keen when some people want to use a awd/4wd hub on a 2wd.
THIS!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test drove our first Tahoe and fell in love. Finally found the premier we were looking for. We drive to dealership to purchase. Right before my wife signed the paperwork, she took a quick ride to be sure. Pulled out and went one block. Took off from first stop sign, turned to the right and the entire front driver tire came off completely. Dealer said he could fix back like new with no worries. Would like to get opinions from those who know more than me. Should I move on from this. It is a 2023 with about 50 miles on it. Can it be repaired back to factory? Am I taking a risk? Appreciate all opinions.

Sounds like your wife had doubts, hence the second ride "to be sure". She had a gut feeling or heard her guardian spirit warning her and this was divine intervention. Yes, there are plenty of valid explanations already listed particularly to the failure. But, who stops just before signing to take one more test drive? This situation would be very different and more painful/messy if you legally owned the car and this happened. I say it's a bullet dodged by a difference of mere minutes.

CorvairGeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I saw someone mentioned 2 vs 4 wheel drive, is this one 2 wheel drive? It looks like there is no front axle, but I think I see the splines.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your wife had doubts, hence the second ride "to be sure". She had a gut feeling or heard her guardian spirit warning her and this was divine intervention. Yes, there are plenty of valid explanations already listed particularly to the failure. But, who stops just before signing to take one more test drive? This situation would be very different and more painful/messy if you legally owned the car and this happened. I say it's a bullet dodged by a difference of mere minutes.
yep and if the manager there had any brains at all he would have sent someone out to check each and every vehicle on the lot instantly

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Move on, get another car at another dealer. No amount of discount is going to put you at ease. The door and quarter panel will never be "just right." It's a car... There's more of them, even the perfect ones. Build your spec at another dealer.

You're always going to question IF there's something else wrong. And if not, you'll still blame regular mechanical issues on this, even if not true. It's not worth the peace of mind.

There's no price tag on safety and sanity. Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
M

Micahendrix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your thoughts. He told my wife the lug nuts on every wheel were loose. Said someone must have tried to steal the tires and rims the night before. Also, he said it would not show up on carfax. They use an outside repair source. Said because no police report was done. This is a very small town dealership. They said no major damage . Super nice people at dealership but I just don’t feel comfortable buying it.
Does this sound right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076