Test drove a 2023 Tahoe/Lost front driver side wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micahendrix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Test drove our first Tahoe and fell in love. Finally found the premier we were looking for. We drive to dealership to purchase. Right before my wife signed the paperwork, she took a quick ride to be sure. Pulled out and went one block. Took off from first stop sign, turned to the right and the entire front driver tire came off completely. Dealer said he could fix back like new with no worries. Would like to get opinions from those who know more than me. Should I move on from this. It is a 2023 with about 50 miles on it. Can it be repaired back to factory? Am I taking a risk? Appreciate all opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpeg
    IMG_2855.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2854.jpeg
    IMG_2854.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 32

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet they didn't tighten them at all! Probably came in with transport tires and the dealer put on the tires and a tech forgot to put the lugs on or even tight them.

I've done burnouts with one lug nut and the wheel didn't come off.

They can fix it perfect if so inclined. If it's exactly what you wanted and you accept that you may have to bring it back once or twice to get the repair completed, buy it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is indeed perfect when you come back to decide if your going to buy it AND the price came down because well it has technically been damaged. id still buy it but obviously i wouldn't use them for servicing lol.
actually had this happen before but it wasn't something new but we did really like it. my experience was the shop did a full service and a few repair items. one of which apparently had something to do with the driver side axle nut. pulled the hub in half ripped the brake line off and beat up the lower a arm. came back and indeed everything had been replaced price drop and they threw in some extras.
either way its why im not keen when some people want to use a awd/4wd hub on a 2wd.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is indeed perfect when you come back to decide if your going to buy it AND the price came down because well it has technically been damaged. id still buy it but obviously i wouldn't use them for servicing lol.

This 100%. And don’t let them lowball you and think “oh we knocked off $500 or $1,000 off the purchase price.” No. That used to be brand new vehicle is no longer brand new. Think about when you go to buy a used vehicle how much the value decreases when the vehicle has an accident on its history. And I can guarantee you this: That repair job is much more than just replacing a front fender and repainting.

First things first: DO NOT COMMIT TO ANYTHING WITH THE DEALER ON THIS VEHICLE PRIOR TO ANY REPAIRS BEING MADE.

Remember you don’t own this vehicle it is not your problem. You can walk away.

If you consider still buying this vehicle after its repaired I recommend 2 things:

1. Ask for a complete detailed list of the repair that was done to the vehicle that includes all OEM part numbers that were purchased and replaced as well as a list of any parts that were removed and reinstalled. If the dealership doesn’t have its own body shop I would request to see the repair invoice from whatever body shop did the repairs. This is a simple request.

2. I would request at minimum a discount of 10% of the original vehicle purchase price you were going to buy it for. Any discount or reduction in sales price less than that you are taking the hit.

If they can’t at least offer that walk away and move on.

Last edited:

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
I agree with the others, that vehicle came with transport wheels and someone didn't tighten that wheel correctly surprised a vibration wasn't felt on the test drive. As far as it showing up on like a Carfax report I dough it very much due to it not being registered or insured yet that would be a question to ask them. If you do take it I would get a discount like 10% or so.

Short story, my uncle worked for Ford when I was little he worked on the assembly line and I remember him saying you would be surprised how many vehicles were wreaked or damaged pulling out of the plant to the storage lot then brought back in for repairs so that vehicle will be fixed and sold and the other owner will never know. If it were me I would probably take it if there was a nice discount and quick turn around on the repairs. Its up to you if your gut is saying walk away then do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts