Tech 2 reader/scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start this thread so see if those that already own these devices can educate the rest of us about their use. At what point is the price for the unit worth the cost? is there a subscription that needs to be bought to use yearly or for different vehicles? been thinking about buying one but dont even know where to start or if its even worth it

George100

Reaction score
A tech 2 works really well on gm vehicles as it is supposed to, as it is the dealership scan tool. You only need a subscription if you want to update modules and it is used as a pass thru. It will pay for itself with a couple of scans. It does not work on new gm vehicles beyond 2013. For that you will need a MDI and gds2 software on a laptop. you can either get a chinese clone of the Tech2 which is the handheld scantool or get one of the units that have both gds2 and a program called Tech2win. This is an emulator that will work on your laptop and works the same way.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tech 2 is well worth the purchase price. You can get a fully functional Chinese knockoff for $300 - $350. I purchased one at the recommendation of @swathdiver , and it has already more then paid for itself.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
After entering your VIN, use the drop down box to view all the options for programming.

Nice!

79ec6681ad34f33aa895d29c50e4b78a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JPH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for knowledge - What are people using to read codes, troubleshoot, light prog etc. from the 2014+ models
What I have read is that the Tech2 (clones and vxdiag va nano etc) only go up to 2013 models and I know the Internet wouldn't lie to me
Educate me please

George100

Reaction score
I am looking for knowledge - What are people using to read codes, troubleshoot, light prog etc. from the 2014+ models
What I have read is that the Tech2 (clones and vxdiag va nano etc) only go up to 2013 models and I know the Internet wouldn't lie to me
Educate me please

Haha, you gave me a good laugh with Internet lying.. Thank you.. Some of the clones may not go past 2013 as they may concentrate on the vast amount of vehicles that are still around. The vcx nano that you mention does both albeit in two different ways. It does come with two different programs one of which is called Tech2win which is an emulator that is the same as a physical tech2 but you need a Laptop or tablet for that. The second program is the GDS2 which you do need for GM vehicles after 2013 although some earlier ones do use it as well, Equinox and Terrain are two at the top of my head.

Neither program is dependant on the other, but they both need the MDI clone or Nano. The nano plugs in to the obd2 port and then either hooks up with a usb or wifi depending on the version.
Both of the programs do work and they will save a lot of money. BUT.. they can be tricky to install and operate. The reviews for this unit, are all over the place so buyer beware if you are not comfortable about chinese knockoffs.

JPH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for detailing the difference (and happy I could provide a laugh). I will read more about the vcx nano installation - who is afraid of a knockoffs? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9