Tech 2 Knock off suggestion? Hybrid Jump assist compatible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh interesting.

I've been wondering if I can pick up a 2012 and newer radio and flash it to work on my 2011. seems the 2012 got blue tooth and stuff, along with better graphics. mine looks like windows 3.1 lol. i know it atleast needs the vin programed when swapped, I don't know if you can run a newer module year thou. in the long tech 2 thread a guy said he was able to flash updated radio software using the MDI2, sounds like the tech 2 isn't really good for that anymore.

just thinking out loud for stuff to do at some point. it's been ruining perfect since a new hybrid Battery upgrade, so I've kinda moved on to other projects but they are such interesting trucks.
To be honest, if I was to upgrade the radio, I’d go with an aftermarket setup vs a radio from a 2012 or a 2013. Yes, our 2013 has Bluetooth, but it’s rather janky if you ask me and we don’t use it. The graphics are a little more refined, but not earth shattering. Also, you’re stuck with almost 10 year old GPS data. Go aftermarket and have the ability to fully integrate your phone and have better GPS data among other benefits.

The other thing to keep in mind is there are possible compatibility issues with the rear screens. When we bought our 2013 Yukon Denali, used, the rear screens didn’t work. Took them two weeks to figure it out before it was fixed while on the phone with GM Tech Support almost daily. They found out the radio had been swapped and it had an older firmware version and was not able to talk with the rear screens which required a newer version.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I looked at some aftermarket stuff, but since it's the hybrid with the on screen stuff, and it's a Denali with all the mics and speakers and rear remotes for DVD, not that anyone really uses at of that these days, I'm not sure I own a DVD haha. I thought the easier route would be a newer radio from a hybrid flashed to the truck, but you're probably right none the stuff would work anyways. eh I'll probably just leave it alone. still kinda want a mdi2 thou haha.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

Question from a new 2008 Hybrid Tahoe owner.

I just acquired a 2008 hybrid Tahoe, took a gamble won it in a Proxibid auction not running.

When I picked it up I saw the hybrid battery pack was taken apart and I’m assuming it needed to have some bad cells replaced. I ended up getting a complete used battery at a junkyard because the one the in unit was half way taken apart and missing the cover and who knows what else.

Installed the new battery and it won’t start, after doing some research on the forum it appears that I need to start with trying to get the vehicle into “Jump assist mode” to charge up the high voltage battery hopefully to get it started.

I bought a couple different “knock off Tech 2 scanners” on Amazon and they don’t support the function to get the APM in jump assist mode.

That being said can someone recommend a knock off unit that will be capable of getting the vehicle into “jump assist mode?

Sorry for the long rant..

Thanks for your advice.

Ryan

any luck finding it?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i suggest pulling the battery cells and charge each of the cells with a charger that is regulated with auto shut off

this would be the only substitute to getting a tech 2 or take it to the dealer or a shop that has one

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a clone tech 2 and can confirm the jump Assist option is there even thou I haven't had to use it. also saw where to clear the crash detected code along with one called theft power reduction. kinda wild.

there's so so many things with these trucks, I think I scanned and found 29 modules. that's wild

everything from the power being sent to the shocks(magna ride) to the psi in the rear air shocks. also you can reset what's considered home for the ride height along with bump stop setting. I think for 300$ if you got one of these. trucks, it's worth having around.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a clone tech 2 and can confirm the jump Assist option is there even thou I haven't had to use it. also saw where to clear the crash detected code along with one called theft power reduction. kinda wild.

there's so so many things with these trucks, I think I scanned and found 29 modules. that's wild

everything from the power being sent to the shocks(magna ride) to the psi in the rear air shocks. also you can reset what's considered home for the ride height along with bump stop setting. I think for 300$ if you got one of these. trucks, it's worth having around.
I had the opportunity the other day to hook mine up to two hybrids as well and verified the same. It was pretty cool seeing all the stuff for the hybrids and how it monitors battery health, voltages, temperatures in and out of the area, etc.

Skianyday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is indeed on the special functions menu either for the battery control module or the hybrid control module, I will look next time I get on. ...but I've seen it on my tech 2 emulator, (vxDiag) which runs the same SW as you run on your tech 2 knock off computer..

With regard to the radio, I would look at the "tesla style radios" on alibaba or aliexpress, I've seen a couple videos, that look really cool with people doing installs. you get them in 10 -13 inch $300-$1000 depending on how big of screen you get, # processors, memory, android version. I plan to do one of these after I get over other issues just to get decent bluetooth going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224