Tap into rear Aux Power for back-up camera installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Noble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question - most of the rear camera installations call for you to tap into your reverse lights so that the camera powers on when you shift into reverse. That's great, except that my JVC head unit has built in reverse activation via its connection into my OBD port, so there is no need for the reverse trigger. Also, there is an option to turn on and cycle through the front and rear cameras at any time while moving, something which would come in handy when trailering if I wanted to keep an eye on what's going on in the back.

Long story short - I was thinking I might tap into the cigarette lighter wiring on the D column in the rear instead of the reverse lights so that the camera is always receiving power. Has anyone done this? Any reason that that would be a bad idea?

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing I can think is if it has power while key off, if that socket does then the issue would be the camera would be on and powered always and would be a power drain esp while the truck sits. if it is keyed power it would just mean the camera would have power whenever the key is on.. may be as good an idea to put it on a switch that has switched power.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Quick question - most of the rear camera installations call for you to tap into your reverse lights so that the camera powers on when you shift into reverse. That's great, except that my JVC head unit has built in reverse activation via its connection into my OBD port, so there is no need for the reverse trigger. Also, there is an option to turn on and cycle through the front and rear cameras at any time while moving, something which would come in handy when trailering if I wanted to keep an eye on what's going on in the back.

Long story short - I was thinking I might tap into the cigarette lighter wiring on the D column in the rear instead of the reverse lights so that the camera is always receiving power. Has anyone done this? Any reason that that would be a bad idea?
Which JVC do you have?

OP
OP
J

Jack Noble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
only thing I can think is if it has power while key off, if that socket does then the issue would be the camera would be on and powered always and would be a power drain esp while the truck sits. if it is keyed power it would just mean the camera would have power whenever the key is on.. may be as good an idea to put it on a switch that has switched power.

Yeah, I actually had the same concern. I went and tested the socket and it does have battery power.

OP
OP
J

Jack Noble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which JVC do you have?

I have the kw-v850bt. It's a double din with a DVD drive and inputs for front and rear cameras. I am using the i-datalink maestro system so that the unit can make use of my factory gear (bose amp, onstar, sat radio antenna). It also has a link into the cars computer and pulls in vehicle information like error codes, guages, battery status, etc.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have the kw-v850bt. It's a double din with a DVD drive and inputs for front and rear cameras. I am using the i-datalink maestro system so that the unit can make use of my factory gear (bose amp, onstar, sat radio antenna). It also has a link into the cars computer and pulls in vehicle information like error codes, guages, battery status, etc.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thankfully I don't have any of that crap--Onstar, Bose etc. Nice radio. I didn't find anything about it connecting to your obd tho. Is that a separate included harness? Does it come with a remote?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just run a longer wire up to accessory power, you should be able to go inside the body from behind one of the taillight housings, easy peasy

OP
OP
J

Jack Noble

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Is that a separate included harness? Does it come with a remote?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the i-datalink maestro harness connects into the OBD port and then into the back of the head unit. There is also a separate GM harness you need to buy which marries the maestro harness to the OE ports. I purchased from crutchfield and they pre-populate all the kits that you need for the system to work. Here's a link to the modules as well as a picture of my order cart back when I bought it earlier last year.

Bonus - I went ahead and paid the $25 for them to wire up the harnesses for me so I could cut down my install time when I put it in.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HR...ace-Harness-ADS-MRR-module-also-required.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMRR/iDatalink-Maestro-RR-Interface-Module.html

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.27.08 PM.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Is that a separate included harness? Does it come with a remote?

Yes, the i-datalink maestro harness connects into the OBD port and then into the back of the head unit. There is also a separate GM harness you need to buy which marries the maestro harness to the OE ports. I purchased from crutchfield and they pre-populate all the kits that you need for the system to work. Here's a link to the modules as well as a picture of my order cart back when I bought it earlier last year.

Bonus - I went ahead and paid the $25 for them to wire up the harnesses for me so I could cut down my install time when I put it in.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HR...ace-Harness-ADS-MRR-module-also-required.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMRR/iDatalink-Maestro-RR-Interface-Module.html

View attachment 249812 [/QUOTE]
Nice. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium