Talk me out of it or into it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Tahoe premier with 32k miles. Its been a good SUV and haven't had many issues. I do regular maintenance at my dealer and they take care of me. I tow with my Tahoe (5.3L) with towing package brings me in around 8800 rating on my SUV. I tow about 6k at most (wake boat). The Tahoe does fine and i don't tow major distances about 150 miles a few times a year.

That brings me to this. After reading all the issues with GM after 36k miles, i am getting a bit nervous and starting looking at the F150 or Expedition. I browse the forums, and see so many complaints about the GM stuff after 36k miles and raving reviews for Ford on their forum. My wife makes me keep vehicles forever so if i don't make this decision before warranty runs out, i may be screwed. Right now my tahoe has a pretty high trade in price that could get me into a new F150 with very little out of pocket. I know the F150 with the 3.5 Eco will tow far better as well.

I guess what i am saying is, do i take the chance and keep the tahoe. As i mentioned as i start adding up the miles soon etc.. the trade in drops, right now its really good. And will the F150 or Expy with the 3.5 be a major step up.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i will add in here as i have no room to talk on anything newer with gm. far as i can tell after fords massive debacle with the previous engines they made some big improvements and i hear nothing but positive remarks now. as i stated i dont have any experience with gm past 05 with thier trucks and suvs and my ford experience stops in the 2011 2012 area.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks here have trucks with lots of miles on them, and are not complaining about maintenance and repair issues. That being said, many/most folks on this Forum do some or all of their own maintenance and repair work.

To me, comparing a Tahoe to a F150 is kind of like comparing apples to oranges; however, I do see a basis for a comparison between a Tahoe and an Expedition.

Sorry that I cannot help you specifically on the decision in front of you, but I do wish you the best of outcomes on whatever decision you make.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hunter991
I currently have a 2017 Tahoe premier with 32k miles. Its been a good SUV and haven't had many issues. I do regular maintenance at my dealer and they take care of me. I tow with my Tahoe (5.3L) with towing package brings me in around 8800 rating on my SUV. I tow about 6k at most (wake boat). The Tahoe does fine and i don't tow major distances about 150 miles a few times a year.

That brings me to this. After reading all the issues with GM after 36k miles, i am getting a bit nervous and starting looking at the F150 or Expedition. I browse the forums, and see so many complaints about the GM stuff after 36k miles and raving reviews for Ford on their forum. My wife makes me keep vehicles forever so if i don't make this decision before warranty runs out, i may be screwed. Right now my tahoe has a pretty high trade in price that could get me into a new F150 with very little out of pocket. I know the F150 with the 3.5 Eco will tow far better as well.

I guess what i am saying is, do i take the chance and keep the tahoe. As i mentioned as i start adding up the miles soon etc.. the trade in drops, right now its really good. And will the F150 or Expy with the 3.5 be a major step up.

Hunter991,

You don't have to fall out of love with a vehicle to get a new one.
The cheapest options most of the time is always to keep what you have and not get an extended warranty, just take the chance and keep money set aside for repairs.
This is the sort of car buying advice you would get from a finance point of view.
Realize that while you hear about all the issues on the tahoe, you only hear the voices of those who discuss it online, being a small margin.

Nothing wrong with going to a truck or an expi. May I suggest actually test driving all 3 1500 trucks in the correct for your budget trim levels?
Being that you tow 6k lbs, that gives you lots of choice, and if your budget is 40 to 55k (then minus your trade-in) you should have a good time shopping.

I personally would do the following:

1. Go do your test drive homework by yourself (make appointment with a season salesguy and tell him what your goal is, aka I am comparing and not buying something on that day)

2. go to cargurus.com and look at what is around you in the 500 miles radius

3. try to find the best deal new or a 1 to 2 year old Certified used unit to save even more Cash

4. You can Private message me to ask me for more info, as I help people doing exactly what you are doing often (car concierge services)

Good Luck!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
um o_O what issue's after 36k? lol this is news to me and I am around a LOT
the only "issue" that seems to come up often is the oem shocks seem take a dump fairly quickly, certainly not a reason to run out and buy another vehicle they all have some issue of some sort.
your not going to trade a cow for some magic beans.

Sarah_279

Reaction score
From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you're in desperate need of more towing capacity.
Unless you plan on buying a larger boat or something, what's the rush into something else if the setup you have now is working and you like your Tahoe otherwise? I understand the worry about the future, but there's never any guarantees with anything, unfortunately. (My perspective is coming from someone who traded in a perfect '13 Avalanche with 55,000 miles on it for a new vehicle that was a lemon. What I thought was a good decision .... turned out to be a dumb move. At the time. So maybe don't listen to me lol. I'll shut up now)

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At the end, it is your choice and your's alone. My brother works at the Ford assembly plant where the F-150 is made, but it is the commercial side of that line. He knows employees that buy what you are talking about and they have their own share of problems that get worked out, for the most part, eventually. I sure would like to see the list of the known "PROBLEMS" after 36k miles. There really is no such thing as the PERFECT rig. Each can have quirks. Even if you pay $1,000,000.00 for it. Do you like the vehicle comfort and does your wife? Will you like the Ford choices as much? Is towing your main concern? Does not sound like it when you say you don't really tow that much. Like Phil said, let the dealer you say you go to know your concerns and what you may do. That extended warranty, which I hate by the way, could be reduced and try to put you at ease. Hell, If you like the Tahoe design and creature comforts, get an older one that doesn't have problems, per say, after 36k miles. Maybe even let your dealer know you are in the market for a 2021 when he gets them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your truck is made to last several hundred thousand miles at least! There are lots of guys on here with the previous generations with well over 200K miles and some with 300K miles and more. Your statement about "all the issues with GM after 36K miles" also raises my eyebrows, never heard of this before.

F150s are great trucks but they have never had as nice a ride as GM and as for me and my house, the interiors are not as nice either. Then we come to Ford's decision to trade displacement for turbos, a little V6 with two hair dryers now doing the work of a big V8. How long is that motor going to last and at what fuel economy?

I've never put much stock in warranties and have never allowed myself to be held hostage by one. If one can afford the monthly payments on an $60K-$80K truck, they can surely scrounge up a few thousand dollars should a major repair pop up. For peace of mind you can purchase an extended warranty from the dealership/manufacturer and there are also aftermarket warranties like Car Shield.

It seems to me that the real issue is that you want an F150 and are looking for a reason to justify it, either in your head or to the Missus. If you want an F-150, go out and get one. Then get an extra large box of chocolates next week for your Valentine or take her away for the weekend in the new Ford!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645