Talk me out of it or into it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I stated earlier, my brother works for Ford and has for 25 years plus. During that time I took advantage of buying an F250 diesel truck on his employee discount. That was years back so cannot compare to what you are thinking but I had my share of problems with it as well. I could buy, at his discount, a new truck whenever I want but in all the time I have been involved in auto repair as a tech or running shops and using all my vehicles to tow with, that F250 was the only other vehicle I ever owned besides a GM product. They have served me very well over the years. I never used extended warranties but as a service manager I dealt with them ALOT. I hate 'em. I always have a savings account set aside, that I add to every month, that is for maintenance and repairs of my vehicle. Way better odds than any extended warranty. Just like this forum, any Ford forum will slant to the product the forum sponsors. I make up my own mind based on my automotive history and how comfortable I am with the vehicle. Anyways, good luck with any decision you make but IMO I think I would rather have the V8 to tow with and add power to it as you see fit instead of the turbo engines. I saw lots and lots of problems with them in my shops. Most of it could be attributed to design and poor quality parts but the vast majority of them had to do with the maintenance that the owners did not do as needed. If you tow, you need to follow the maintenance schedule for severe duty instead of standard duty, or whatever they name it now.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Tahoe premier with 32k miles. Its been a good SUV and haven't had many issues. I do regular maintenance at my dealer and they take care of me. I tow with my Tahoe (5.3L) with towing package brings me in around 8800 rating on my SUV. I tow about 6k at most (wake boat). The Tahoe does fine and i don't tow major distances about 150 miles a few times a year.

That brings me to this. After reading all the issues with GM after 36k miles, i am getting a bit nervous and starting looking at the F150 or Expedition. I browse the forums, and see so many complaints about the GM stuff after 36k miles and raving reviews for Ford on their forum. My wife makes me keep vehicles forever so if i don't make this decision before warranty runs out, i may be screwed. Right now my tahoe has a pretty high trade in price that could get me into a new F150 with very little out of pocket. I know the F150 with the 3.5 Eco will tow far better as well.

I guess what i am saying is, do i take the chance and keep the tahoe. As i mentioned as i start adding up the miles soon etc.. the trade in drops, right now its really good. And will the F150 or Expy with the 3.5 be a major step up.

I have 79K miles on my 2016 Tahoe LT and so far just plain old regular maintenance. If you keep up with maintenance [like ATF changes] you should be good to go.

I would rather have a V8 instead of a 3.5 Ecoboost Turbo. I am also not a big fan of the stop and start feature.

With that said I have zero plans of selling my Tahoe for years to come.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI- theres a LOT of Ford 3.5 whose turbos needing to be rebuilt from bearing failures.

It ought to be known somewhere what the MTBF of those turbocharger bearings is. I don't pay much attention anymore, thirty or so years ago a turbocharger was about $1000 back then and the center sections were good for about 75K miles on conventional oil.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the Tahoe. Your worries of the unknown future are illogical. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. These vehicles are great and last a very long time if you maintain them. That’s the reason you can get such a great trade in value on it!

Also, have you been following Ford? They could be headed towards bankruptcy or at the very least significant financial distress. I wouldn’t buy anything from them right now till they figure out what they want to do going forward. (They should probably stop producing all vehicles except the Mustang and F150, but who knows).

Keep the Tahoe, maintain it, and if in the future you get the itch to buy something new, talk the wife into letting you make your own decisions on what truck to drive! (In a nice voice, lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your truck is made to last several hundred thousand miles at least! There are lots of guys on here with the previous generations with well over 200K miles and some with 300K miles and more. Your statement about "all the issues with GM after 36K miles" also raises my eyebrows, never heard of this before.

F150s are great trucks but they have never had as nice a ride as GM and as for me and my house, the interiors are not as nice either. Then we come to Ford's decision to trade displacement for turbos, a little V6 with two hair dryers now doing the work of a big V8. How long is that motor going to last and at what fuel economy?

I've never put much stock in warranties and have never allowed myself to be held hostage by one. If one can afford the monthly payments on an $60K-$80K truck, they can surely scrounge up a few thousand dollars should a major repair pop up. For peace of mind you can purchase an extended warranty from the dealership/manufacturer and there are also aftermarket warranties like Car Shield.

It seems to me that the real issue is that you want an F150 and are looking for a reason to justify it, either in your head or to the Missus. If you want an F-150, go out and get one. Then get an extra large box of chocolates next week for your Valentine or take her away for the weekend in the new Ford!

Ive got 352,000 on my 2002 Tahoe. I drive nice and put up with the squeeks and rattles. Mechanically the air ride went out 2 years ago so i swapped it for conventional. Abs went bad at 300k so I converted it to conventional. Passlock acted up so I eliminated it with a newrockies. Other than than shes a dream.
I own a 4runner, f250, Tahoe and 1500 ram. All four have quirks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ive got 352,000 on my 2002 Tahoe. I drive nice and put up with the squeeks and rattles. Mechanically the air ride went out 2 years ago so i swapped it for conventional. Abs went bad at 300k so I converted it to conventional. Passlock acted up so I eliminated it with a newrockies. Other than than shes a dream.
I own a 4runner, f250, Tahoe and 1500 ram. All four have quirks.

I think you need a Dodge Caravan in all that mix, but that is just IMO.

MainahBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe LT with 36K and also tow. We have used this to tow a 4500 lb camper from Maine to NC and up to the Maritimes and lots of other places. No problems (yet) and we also keep our vehicles 10 years or so (just sold a 2004 BMW 330i with 130K and bought my wife a 2019 Audi Q5-which she will have a very long time!).

With all that said, I decided to buy an extended warranty as I have done with some of other vehicles. I shopped around and got a pretty good deal ($1425) on the GMEPP (GM Extended Protection Plan) from Smith Motors in Indiana (Call Carly Boyd 219-696-0071). The pricing and duration is based on when you buy it and my model is to drive my new vehicle for a year before I do anything. At the end of the year, if it is a lemon, I'd likely dump it. If not, I look at buying a manufacturer's warranty which I did when it was one year old and had about 10K miles on it. This warranty, based on buying it in 2017, will last till October 2023 or 70K miles.

My local dealer was only selling the Ally Warranty which was the original GM warranty pre-bankruptcy and I figured that might be an issue if I was traveling and half way across the country. It was also more expensive.

My Tahoe went off warranty last October and fortunately, I have not had to use this (yet!)

Good luck. Hope this helps with your decision.

I currently have a 2017 Tahoe premier with 32k miles. Its been a good SUV and haven't had many issues. I do regular maintenance at my dealer and they take care of me. I tow with my Tahoe (5.3L) with towing package brings me in around 8800 rating on my SUV. I tow about 6k at most (wake boat). The Tahoe does fine and i don't tow major distances about 150 miles a few times a year.

That brings me to this. After reading all the issues with GM after 36k miles, i am getting a bit nervous and starting looking at the F150 or Expedition. I browse the forums, and see so many complaints about the GM stuff after 36k miles and raving reviews for Ford on their forum. My wife makes me keep vehicles forever so if i don't make this decision before warranty runs out, i may be screwed. Right now my tahoe has a pretty high trade in price that could get me into a new F150 with very little out of pocket. I know the F150 with the 3.5 Eco will tow far better as well.

I guess what i am saying is, do i take the chance and keep the tahoe. As i mentioned as i start adding up the miles soon etc.. the trade in drops, right now its really good. And will the F150 or Expy with the 3.5 be a major step up.

George R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cam phasers are an absolute problem on the 3.5 gen 2 EB.
Oil changes will have to be performed far more frequently than on the GM due to more stringent oil requirements (engine oil lubricates turbos)
I have also seen a number of early gen 2 3.5EB engines over heat while towing.
(Search YouTube)

The borg Warner ko3 is a pretty solid/reliable turbocharger, it can very well last over 200k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505