Tahoe Yukon Suburban low profile aluminum roof racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That rack and bumper are beautiful. So stoked to see these platforms starting to get this kind of aftermarket support! Going on my wish list for sure.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2008 Denali that I have tried my overlanding skills with. If does great on graded access roads and such. It does handle some technical hill climbs, but does get hot by the time you get to 12,000ft. Just did NM and CO. Took hwy 550 from Santa Fe north to Ouray. Then to Pitkin and Tin Cup.

I also concur with it needing more power, lower gears, or a low range t-case. 1st is good for most suff, but when you need to crawl or rely on engine braking it's sometimes just to high of a gear. I honestly think a 4:10 setup would be killer. Not sure about road mpg at that point tho.

I love the rack and bumper. I just did a low budget DIY swap of a Z-71 rack from a 2005 tahoe to mine. Bolted right up and is more solid than the Denali rack.

I'd love to cruise with some fellow GM guys and explore some trails. It can be quite nerve wracking all alone climbing up mountain passes, in the middle of nowhere....

Attachments

• 20220911_111456.jpg
    20220911_111456.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220911_112701.jpg
    20220911_112701.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220909_142659.jpg
    20220909_142659.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 13

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2008 Denali that I have tried my overlanding skills with. If does great on graded access roads and such. It does handle some technical hill climbs, but does get hot by the time you get to 12,000ft. Just did NM and CO. Took hwy 550 from Santa Fe north to Ouray. Then to Pitkin and Tin Cup.

I also concur with it needing more power, lower gears, or a low range t-case. 1st is good for most suff, but when you need to crawl or rely on engine braking it's sometimes just to high of a gear. I honestly think a 4:10 setup would be killer. Not sure about road mpg at that point tho.

I love the rack and bumper. I just did a low budget DIY swap of a Z-71 rack from a 2005 tahoe to mine. Bolted right up and is more solid than the Denali rack.

I'd love to cruise with some fellow GM guys and explore some trails. It can be quite nerve wracking all alone climbing up mountain passes, in the middle of nowhere....
How hot are you seeing the temps go?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Trans temps of 215-ish after climbing to 12k feet. The engine was probably the same temp. I rested at idle with the hood open for a bit and then carried on.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just keep a steady pace in the gear that makes the most sense. Usually 2nd, but a few times 1st gear. I always lock in manual 1 for going down. I had to stop a couple times and spray the rotors with a water bottle to drop the temps.......lots of steam even going slow. A lower gear would be beneficial

OP
OP
mrpeterclark

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sweet! Where are you from? I'm in Boulder. I'll go wheeling with you.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in WI. I've made 2 trips this summer out west. Explored WY first and then NM, CO on the last trip. I will let you know the next time I get a wild hair and cruise that way. It would be fun to have a wheeling buddy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu