2003 Chevrolet Tahoe Low Profile Overlanding Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I got everything painted I assembled and attached it to the L-track.

View attachment 382718 View attachment 382719 View attachment 382720 View attachment 382721

I think I did pretty good when it came to following the body lines on the side rails and choosing my angle to follow from the windshield. As the rack sits right now, without an air dam, there is no whistle or wind noise coming from the rack what so ever.
That is effing legit! You should market that. It really looks nice and sleek!

OP
OP
GatorBite

GatorBite

Reaction score
That is effing legit! You should market that. It really looks nice and sleek!
Thanks. I have had several people at gas stations and other places stop me to ask about it. Maybe if I can get enough interest I can get some more cut out.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful rack you built there. It looks like it will serve its purpose just right. I mounted my smitybuilt defender (suburban one piece model on my Yukon) roof basket directly to the stock rails with some 1/4” carriage bolts slid into the channel. I also have no wind noise and it sits about a 1/4” from the roof in the center.

Attachments

• DC84D69E-9588-4F67-B896-385DAF336D23.jpeg
    DC84D69E-9588-4F67-B896-385DAF336D23.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 17

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful rack you built there. It looks like it will serve its purpose just right. I mounted my smitybuilt defender (suburban one piece model on my Yukon) roof basket directly to the stock rails with some 1/4” carriage bolts slid into the channel. I also have no wind noise and it sits about a 1/4” from the roof in the center.
I like that look as well. Do you ever hear it hitting the roof from flexing, or is it pretty rigid?

Also, how does your model Denali handle the overlanding?

OP
OP
GatorBite

GatorBite

Reaction score
I like that look as well. Do you ever hear it hitting the roof from flexing, or is it pretty rigid?

Also, how does your model Denali handle the overlanding?

There hasn't been any contact with the roof from having a few items loaded on it or getting off camber. It is pretty rigid because of the 8 connection poins on each side rail to the l track.

My truck is a Tahoe Special Service Vehicle (SSV) so it doesn't have an LS, LT, or Z71 badge. It has been great for the trips we have done so far. I have put a lot of time into upgrading its capabilities since I got it since there is limited aftermarket support.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking rack. Does it hit the roof at all when it's loaded, etc? How does your model denali handle overlanding?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very clean design!!! Nice job!
I know you still have air dam in the works, but do the channels on the new cross bars whistle on ya at all?
I am wondering if you might need to fill unused channels with some kind of plastic trim inset if they do start to whistle.

OP
OP
GatorBite

GatorBite

Reaction score
Very clean design!!! Nice job!
I know you still have air dam in the works, but do the channels on the new cross bars whistle on ya at all?
I am wondering if you might need to fill unused channels with some kind of plastic trim inset if they do start to whistle.
@MassHoe04
There is no whistling whatsoever. That is why I haven't been too worried about getting an air dam made yet.