Tahoe/Yukon accessory hardwire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJenn76

Reaction score
FYI
Just had an ****** 360 Maxc radar detector and Thinkware u1000 dash cam installed and hardwired. Installer said there is no info out there yet. He found that the cigarette lighter is the best line to tap. Powered on/off with engine etc

Runs fine with no noticeable glitches... yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mike Diaferio

Reaction score
I installed my V1 right under the mirror and hard wired right there. Very easy to do! You use an 8 inch wire which is made with pins on one end with your detector connection on the other end. All you are doing is tapping right into the plugs already there. No cutting of wires, spicing etc. As long as there is power to your mirror, you can power your detector/cam etc. It works with starting and turning of the vehicle.

V1 install.jpg

Last edited:

Pobodysnerfect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed my V1 right under the mirror and hard wired right there. Very easy to do! You use an 8 inch wire which is made with pins on one end with your detector connection on the other end. All you are doing is tapping right into the plugs already there. No cutting of wires, spicing etc. As long as there is power to your mirror, you can power your detector/cam etc. It works with starting and turning of the vehicle.

View attachment 268114
Do you know which pins/colored wires you tapped into? I’m about to do the same thing and my volt meter isn’t working.

jonsharp2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life. Anybody have more details on power from mirror, for camera. which ones to use for power and ground? (For 2021 Yukon Denali)

therealbofa

Reaction score
I’ve used blend mounts with MirrorTap in the past but found this little harness and ordered it. It just arrived yesterday and I am hoping to install next weekend. No more fighting with those little tap blades.

TheAgency

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life. Anybody have more details on power from mirror, for camera. which ones to use for power and ground? (For 2021 Yukon Denali)
I used the BlendMount/MirrorTap on my 2021; + is the mauve/purple and - is the black with the white stripe.

To clarify, I'm using the plug at the very bottom of the area covered by the mirror/windshield housing. I'm also using the vehicle end of the plug, rather than the end that goes to the mirror and associated equipment. Works flawlessly and powers up with the vehicle.

The mirror taps have worked well for me in this and prior vehicles, but that custom harness looks promising. The BlendMount mount is a game-changer though over suction cups or adhesive.

IMG_1177.jpgIMG_1222.jpg

jonsharp2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I just realized something, looking for confirmation. The plug from Gen5DIY is providing 12volt, my dash cam is standard USB power (just generic USB). Can I just spice open the USB to power, or do I need to convert it to lower voltage (like 12v to 5v)

therealbofa

Reaction score
Ok, I just realized something, looking for confirmation. The plug from Gen5DIY is providing 12volt, my dash cam is standard USB power (just generic USB). Can I just spice open the USB to power, or do I need to convert it to lower voltage (like 12v to 5v)
The website says you should use a voltage converter.

Also, I installed the harness and my R3 today. Very simple plug n play, although the harness is longer than it needs to be. I finally found a way to get it all tucked in and it works great so far.

vwfast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve used blend mounts with MirrorTap in the past but found this little harness and ordered it. It just arrived yesterday and I am hoping to install next weekend. No more fighting with those little tap blades.

Thanks for the link and info. Just purchased one for my 22 Tahoe Z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2