RESOLVED... Accessory Power problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolexus

Reaction score
Tahoe that I’ve installed a front view dash cam (uses a mini SD card for recording) on windshield; power is accessed via small 4 wire cable, runs from cam around window trim, etc., to eventually get power from Accessory (cig lighter) power source. There are 2 of this style of ‘lighter plug’ on dash in close proximity.

My problem: using lighter power plug, this has worked well for ~12 months... unless I forget to unplug upon departing vehicle. The power source is always “on”.

Recently I tried installing an automotive DC illuminated (red) power switch. The switch worked by itself when I tested it on the battery terminals, I also tested the switch with a multimeter, appropriate readings while in “on and off “ positions of switch.

However, when I tried splicing this switch into the power line on the accessory plug, cam doesn’t work. Using 18 gage wire, I spliced this switch into the power line of the Accessory plug (during the splicing, I always removed the appropriate fuse, so no safety issues there).

The cam did not come with a wiring diagram, and I don’t want to guess what all 4 wires function are - so I don’t want to try and wire the cam cable directly to another power line (that would power off when ignition power is off).

Any comments or suggestions about what I could try would be appreciated, Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"when I tried splicing this switch into the power line on the accessory plug"
completely contradicts
"I don’t want to guess what all 4 wires function are"
which is exactly what you have done-"guessed"
so my first guess is the 4 wires are a attempt to make you think it requires more than 2, which could be true a 3rd wire could be used if it has a "sleep mode" where it detects impacts while parked.
the 4th wire is likely not used for anything unless it splits the power inside the camera board somewhere
so you need a electrical meter to test the 4-wires against the 2 of the end that inserts into the cigarette power port
once you have that sorted out
the best option is to just connect it to a (fused) accessory power source at the fuse box or junction box, then you never have to worry about turning it on/off as it will be powered on whenever the key is on.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. At this point I was hoping no to tamper with the cable (4 internal wires) that plugs into the Accessory outlet (cigarette lighter).

I tried adding an illuminated switch to the power line of the cigarette lighter. The switch is fine, but once it is installed on the vehicle power line of the cigarette lighter - nada. The outlet doesn’t work. So my issue is not with the cam and it’s cable, but with the switch I tried placing in-line for the lighter...

However, your explanation of the cam wiring makes a lot of sense. If I determine the essential wires (as you’ve said with an electrical meter) I can determine which 2 of the 4 the wires best correspond to make the camera run off of an fused accessory power source. Thanks Doubeleive!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cigarette power lead/harness is probably wired for series use, at least the ones I have seen are so when you wired in the switch it probably broke the pattern
I had to replace the one in a 04 that had 3 sockets and they all feed from the same harness but appear to be wired individually, on some only 1 socket has constant power and the others will only have power with key on, usually to get back in there far enough you have to pull out the ac control and poke around in the wiring to see what I am talking about

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
That could be, but I’m not inclined to dig around back there. I replaced the drivers side Blend Door Actuator last summer... UGH! Lost a lot of skin - was quite the ordeal.

My sockets are always live, with or without ignition switch position, even the ones in rear cabin. Luckily, when I put it back together after my attempted switch install, everything still works. I had no idea - thanks for pointing this out.

I am going to take the high road and follow the advice you’ve suggested - get this thing hardwired.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cigarette lighter sockets under the ac unit 1 should be key on pwr the other should be always powered by battery.
depends on the year and model/trim, they made changes in 03, some trim have 2 sockets, some have 3, bench seat/center console all that stuff makes a difference, even the Denali/escalade can vary

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
This 05 LS has two sockets directly under the AC control, both are always live, as well as the sockets in rear cabin seating area (another 3 there).

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
depends on the year and model/trim, they made changes in 03, some trim have 2 sockets, some have 3, bench seat/center console all that stuff makes a difference, even the Denali/escalade can vary
Ahh ok my z71 1 is power all the time the other is key on.1 seems less deeper than the other also noticed with my radar detector.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok my z71 1 is power all the time the other is key on.1 seems less deeper than the other also noticed with my radar detector.
yes some of the ports are made specifically for a cigarette lighter and some are made for just 12v power, if you have a lighter and stick it in the wrong one it wont work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9