Tahoe won't turn over, Gauges wacky and no locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwaldo432

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I came home from work and the tahoe started just fine but when I tried to get back out...Nothing. The key fob will hardly lock the doors, same with the locks on the door. The Interior lights dim and flicker. When I put the key in the Ignition the chime comes on fine but when I turn to run or try to start, all the electronics turn off and the check engine light flashes. When I take the key out the gauges move and reset. All my grounds are good. Does this sound like a BCM issue or something else?

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dead, or bad battery connection to me...

OP
OP
jwaldo432

jwaldo432

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery tested out fine, All the connections I could find are tight and free of corrosion. Any other Ideas?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i checked and i was mistaken if the pcm is bad the vehicle in most cases wont start along with all the other symptoms your seeing
so it sounds like you probably got a bad PCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rudYtZUahQ
here is a youtube video of what happens
i also did a quick search on prices and they range from 1 to 200 dollars

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
What if you jump the battery and try to start. I had the same problem on a Honda. The battery was too weak even when supposedly charged

OP
OP
jwaldo432

jwaldo432

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i checked and i was mistaken if the pcm is bad the vehicle in most cases wont start along with all the other symptoms your seeing
so it sounds like you probably got a bad PCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rudYtZUahQ
here is a youtube video of what happens
i also did a quick search on prices and they range from 1 to 200 dollars

PCM or BCM (Body Control Module?).

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

What if you jump the battery and try to start. I had the same problem on a Honda. The battery was too weak even when supposedly charged

Bettery tested fine with a load tester, Im gonna try and jump the relay to see if it is a problem eslewhere or If the car cranks then I know im on the right track....hopefully.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen this same issue on several other truck forums. One guy said it turned out to be his BCM, but just about every other thrad I've seen it ended up being a bad ground. There is a ground point on the drivers side frame rail under the drivers door area. This point gets loose and/or corroded over time and ends up causing issues like you have. Engine will not start or it only starts sometimes, cluster goes crazy, and doorlocks go crazy.
I would at least inspect and clean that ground point before paying a shop to test the BCM or anything. I'd also look for any other grounds that might be corroded, especially if you live up north where they use salt on the roads, or go off-roading and get mud on your undercarriage.

OP
OP
jwaldo432

jwaldo432

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen this same issue on several other truck forums. One guy said it turned out to be his BCM, but just about every other thrad I've seen it ended up being a bad ground. There is a ground point on the drivers side frame rail under the drivers door area. This point gets loose and/or corroded over time and ends up causing issues like you have. Engine will not start or it only starts sometimes, cluster goes crazy, and doorlocks go crazy.
I would at least inspect and clean that ground point before paying a shop to test the BCM or anything. I'd also look for any other grounds that might be corroded, especially if you live up north where they use salt on the roads, or go off-roading and get mud on your undercarriage.

Just checked all my grounds again and they all checked out. Im going to see if the ignition switch is the issue since now when i Take the key out the radio still stays on.