Tahoe vs Ford Expedition which is better on reliabilty state your views

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want a real life answer?, go to the junk yard, look and see how many fords you see there broken versus chevy's. around here it's practically 10 to 1 or pretty close to it with a few dodges mixed in. I can literally go down the isle, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, dodge, ford, ford, chevy, ford, ford. lol

Around here it's the opposite, and don't get me wrong I love my Tahoe's, but its gm, gm, gm, cadillac, ford, ford, gm, dodge, dodge, dodge, cadillac, gm, gm here in Colorado, lol .

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around here it's the opposite, and don't get me wrong I love my Tahoe's, but its gm, gm, gm, cadillac, ford, ford, gm, dodge, dodge, dodge, cadillac, gm, gm here in Colorado, lol .
weird, could be a regional thing, I know around here though most of the chevys end up in the premium yards in sacramento so the regular junkyard could be skewed that way.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Always GM more reliable in this segment. Also, ask any general mechanic, one who has an independent shop which one they see more of, they will tell you Ford every time. Even if they say they see a lot of GM, ask what they’d rather work on, the choice will always be GM because of fords back ass engineering. Been doing this for about 15 years, worked on them all, and Fords design and engineering is far behind anyone else. I’m not talking about styling, I’m talking about how the vehicle is put together.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want a real life answer?, go to the junk yard, look and see how many fords you see there broken versus chevy's. around here it's practically 10 to 1 or pretty close to it with a few dodges mixed in. I can literally go down the isle, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, dodge, ford, ford, chevy, ford, ford. lol

Wow thank you that is the best thing I heard and it true your right the junk yard is the best place to see

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage yards buy vehicles that can be flipped, parted, or scraped. They can be wrecked, flood, theft, or municipal/state vehicles.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to do engineering support at a Ford plant. The engineers seemed dysfunctional, frustrated but otherwise okay to deal with. They hated the trades on the floor. And the trades/unions were difficult to work with. Some operators openly slept on the job. Something about Ford just gives me a skeezy feeling. From the blue "working man of the 1970's" logo to saturating the market with soccer mom explorers back in the day the brand doesn't impress me. I also think it is cheesy that they employ an audio enhanced engine sound to their V6. Oh and the expy has a squat to it when trailing.

UplevelDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I work in auto salvage and I see end-of-life vehicles and insurance wrecks. I grew up all GM but I keep an open mind now and have owned/driven multiple brands. None are perfect, GM cuts corners and has issues like anyone else but they seem to be more reliable than Ford and Dodge. GM's have problems but are more straight forward and cheaper to fix. OK your cluster is out, you can get it rebuilt cheap. Your AFM is acting up, well it's a small block pushrod V8, rebuild your valvetrain yourself, no special tools needed! GM computers are more reliable - which is shown by the fact that there's no market for used GM ECMs, BCMs, etc. They just don't have many problems with them.

GM interior quality sucks. They got -really- cheap with the GMT900s. Dashboards crack if you're in the south. Ford dashboards do NOT have many problems. Dodge dashboards are absolutely the worst, however. 94-97 awful, 98-01 the worst dash ever, 02-08 are ehhh. They use garbage leather compared to Ford and GM. I would say Ford has the best interiors.

That being said - GM trucks are ALWAYS in demand. Whatever the most recent two generations are, when wrecked examples come in to the yard, they are cleaned out. You are rarely going to see a 2007+ Silverado/Tahoe/Yukon etc in a self-service salvage yard, they stay on the road. But when one comes in, it's stripped to the frame. People like these trucks and want to keep them on the road. Look and see what people pay for used 100k mile+ ex-police Tahoes (PPVs), and those are 2wd typically!

Bottom line with GM vehicles is- they are getting better all the time, although they suffer from cheap materials, they have typically been easier to repair and parts--even from the dealer--are less than the competition.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Perfectly said! I’ve done body work the last 12+ years and work in a GM shop (we fix all makes though), so I deal with salvage yards daily. You’re on the money with everything you said.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Expedition is an all-new model for 2018, so there won't be any good reliability information on it for a couple years.

In 2017, the previous Expedition model and the Tahoe both scored very highly on the JD Power quality rankings for large SUVs. Together at the top of the class in fact.

Don't get your reliability information from internet discussion boards. 80% of the traffic here is people who have problems and are looking for solutions. People who aren't having problems don't post much.

Best thing is to ask your mechanic.

There is wisdom in this one.

joe