Tahoe vs Ford Expedition which is better on reliabilty state your views

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always had ford and Chevy but latly the newer ford truck seem the break a lot. A lot of people mention Chevy more reliable but I also been told how horrible there tahoe been with so many issue. What your view which is more reliable. Which is better in reliabilty.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Expedition is an all-new model for 2018, so there won't be any good reliability information on it for a couple years.

In 2017, the previous Expedition model and the Tahoe both scored very highly on the JD Power quality rankings for large SUVs. Together at the top of the class in fact.

Don't get your reliability information from internet discussion boards. 80% of the traffic here is people who have problems and are looking for solutions. People who aren't having problems don't post much.

Best thing is to ask your mechanic.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Eh it’s all relative IMHO. I’ve done a lot of upkeep on Chevy and ford pickups. mostly vehicles kept up to 10 yrs commonly with 200k miles and they both have their ups and downs. With my experiences tho the Ford parts were $$$. Best bet is to figure out what year you want or can afford and research. 1 year can make very little to no difference or a world of it. Maybe this truck has a brand new trans than no one can work on yet but the truck one year earlier has the most common trans out there. Ya know what I mean? The Tahoe is also much more common of a fleet vehicle as far as I can tell which means parts should be more common and cheaper.

Now to the proper Chevy fan response.
Ford = Found On Road Dead nuff said lol

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe is also much more common of a fleet vehicle as far as I can tell which means parts should be more common and cheaper.
I got the same advice from my mechanic, and its also a kind of hidden benefit to the Tahoe powertrain being essentially a tweaked carryover of a carryover. It's not the world's highest-tech engine, but there are a zillion of them on the road, you can get parts for one just about wherever you are, and people know how to work on them.

Lauren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I always had ford and Chevy but latly the newer ford truck seem the break a lot. A lot of people mention Chevy more reliable but I also been told how horrible there tahoe been with so many issue. What your view which is more reliable. Which is better in reliabilty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want a real life answer?, go to the junk yard, look and see how many fords you see there broken versus chevy's. around here it's practically 10 to 1 or pretty close to it with a few dodges mixed in. I can literally go down the isle, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, ford, dodge, ford, ford, chevy, ford, ford. lol

Lauren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can tell you if you ever need GM customer service, you may as well forget it. I’ve called EIGHT times since 8/31, and I have only received empty promises. I can’t even get a supervisor to return my calls. My Yukon is in the shop at the dealership, and has been since Tuesday, 8/28. I have a hole not only in my condenser but also in my radiator and my AC is completely out. I need a fuel injector replaced and the transmission reprogrammed. Only the transmission reprogramming was covered under warranty. Crazy....but what’s even more crazy - GM’s customer service is mind blowingly horrific.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I can tell you if you ever need GM customer service, you may as well forget it. I’ve called EIGHT times since 8/31, and I have only received empty promises. I can’t even get a supervisor to return my calls. My Yukon is in the shop at the dealership, and has been since Tuesday, 8/28. I have a hole not only in my condenser but also in my radiator and my AC is completely out. I need a fuel injector replaced and the transmission reprogrammed. Only the transmission reprogramming was covered under warranty. Crazy....but what’s even more crazy - GM’s customer service is mind blowingly horrific.
What year is it? Wasn't there a recall or a TSB about the condensors having bad welds or solder joints?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is it? Wasn't there a recall or a TSB about the condensors having bad welds or solder joints?

I recall the fix being a condenser from a Silverado or something like that. It's not quite the same size or maybe is the same size but just has different mounting brackets or something. Either way, it's supposedly a minor alteration to a stock part that's available and is a viable repair option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe