Tahoe to Esky, How to swap rear windows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fubar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help here, how do you remove the clips to swap out the rear glass? Pictures or Video will help as I am about to swap mine once I get it color matched.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
open up lift glass. Undo your 3rd brake light. 2 phillips screws. Take it out, follow plug to headliner unplug it. Pull light out. Then there is a C clip that secures the glass. If you look on top of the roof, meaning look where you just took the 3rd brake light out from. Look on the left and right sides of the glass. You will see what looks like a hinge. There is a C clip on both sides. Pull it out, i had to get aggressive w/ mine, But still works fine. Once those clips are off. HOLD THE GLASS. Then proceed to take off the shock absorbers(whatever they are called) that hold the glass up. Just a flat head (hard to explain this one) but pop up a little bracket on them and they pop off. HOLD THE GLASS, it will fall. Then once those are off, pull the glass to the left, May have to take off the left vent. I did. then it slides right off. Put on escalade one in reverse. Just did this, its easy if you just look at it, This might make sense better.

and there is a thread on this, i found them. Just didnt save it. ill see if i can find it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...r-window-w-third-brake-light.html#post3204645
http://www.chevytahoeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836

Last edited:
OP
OP
fubar

fubar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
open up lift glass. Undo your 3rd brake light. 2 phillips screws. Take it out, follow plug to headliner unplug it. Pull light out. Then there is a C clip that secures the glass. If you look on top of the roof, meaning look where you just took the 3rd brake light out from. Look on the left and right sides of the glass. You will see what looks like a hinge. There is a C clip on both sides. Pull it out, i had to get aggressive w/ mine, But still works fine. Once those clips are off. HOLD THE GLASS. Then proceed to take off the shock absorbers(whatever they are called) that hold the glass up. Just a flat head (hard to explain this one) but pop up a little bracket on them and they pop off. HOLD THE GLASS, it will fall. Then once those are off, pull the glass to the left, May have to take off the left vent. I did. then it slides right off. Put on escalade one in reverse. Just did this, its easy if you just look at it, This might make sense better.

and there is a thread on this, i found them. Just didnt save it. ill see if i can find it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...r-window-w-third-brake-light.html#post3204645
http://www.chevytahoeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836

Thank you friend..

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no problem art.
Still need to colormatch mine. right now its spray painted. lol

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Cool.. lets see a picture to see how it looks

Sent with my rooted eVo using Tapatalk.
eh.. maybe once its painted. lol. Its not pretty at all, but better than seeing gold on black. lol. tinted the 3rd also.

i colored match mine also only to find out it doesnt fit my OEM tahoe Glass. :emotions122:

Doesnt fit, did you only get the top half, where the brake goes. Its different than a tahoe glass, looks to be curved for the 3rd light on ours, not the esky, I didnt really look though. Quick question though, if you did only get the top half, can you post a pic. I wondered how hard it is to take it off so i can get it painted. But thought gm superglued it probly.

Last edited: