Tahoe problem front tires (axle) CZE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I have a technical questions for you. I could not explain it here in old topics and I will try to create a new topic.

I'm from the Czech Republic, own the Chevy Tahoe 5.3 LT 2003, I'm happy with the car and I love it. The problem is just spare parts and their export to our country. But I have to count on it :)

Suspension after airless conversion.

I do not speak English very well, so I use Google translator. So my text can be a little confused and you have to use imagination.

A technical question, a problem that worries me very much:

I try to bring everything in the best condition to make the car as new and especially safe for me and my family. We use it daily.

The problem that occurs when turning the wheels is that the front axle bends and twists the tires. It is most noticeable when driving on the reverse and full of turning radius. As if the car did not want to turn and wanted to go straight ahead. Actually I drive the tire to the side and not around the circuit. I have new tires for a while and are on a write-off. Their tread is strung to the side.

The problem that occurs when turning the wheels is that the front axle bends and twists the tires. It is most noticeable when driving on the reverse and full of turning radius. As if the car did not want to turn and wanted to go straight. Actually I drive the tire to the side and not around the circuit. I have new tires for a while and they are destroyed. Their profile is strung to the side.

The rear differential seems to me to be functional, blocking and unblocking. Transfer Case eliminates the drive for all wheels, the front drive shaft can be freely rotated. I have not noticed noises or loosening the front axle.

Thank you for your help.

If the translation is bad and incomprehensible, I will try to overwrite it. Thank you!

I attach a video to youtube but the camera is having trouble recording the problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings from America Jakub! I like your former President, Vaclav Klaus and ardent supporter of free enterprise. When making these turns, is your Tahoe in 4x4 mode, all four wheels being turned by engine? Front tires in 4x4 do not like turning on hard surfaces and will protest and make noises.

OP
OP
Swayi

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm glad you know my country.

This problem is in 2wd mode. And if I go under the car I can rotate freely the front drive shaft. So I suppose 4wd is really disconnected.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should start by jacking the front up and supporting the frame with tires clear of the ground.

At that point you can begin with a physical check for signs of steering linkage and hub conditions. You may or may not be aware of these manual inspections but Internet search will provide results. Initial checks involving play in the wheel hub or tie Rod ends are usually obvious and don't require a lot of time or in-depth knowledge.

If you choose to proceed with self-diagnosis, anyone would suggest the acquisition of a good shop manual. eBay and other online vendors of this nature will be your cheapest and fastest resource, I presume.

Electronic versions will have more info than your standard paperback, including diagnostic steps for just about any malfunction, including the front axle. You should consult such material, especially when repairing or replacing anything as torque specifics should be adhered to. The listed steps and illustrations also ensures critical fasteners and other safety measures do not go overlooked, which is extremely important when it comes to driven components.

Please provide any further info in regard to the vehicle including MIL indicator, the associated trouble codes, any DIC messages will also be relevant. So basically, does the check engine light come on and does the digital display warn of 4WD SERVICE?

Another item to consider in self-repair of your Tahoe is a tech2 diagnostic tool that is capable of 2-way comms with the various modules and almost a necessity for location & repair of front axle & transfer case faults. There are sensors located at various points of the driveline and without a working knowledge of electrical systems, required tools and schematics it is impossible to diagnose and at which point the tech2 or similar "bi-directional comm tool" becomes your best asset. We are talking the sophisticated scanner/handheld that plugs into the socket under the steering wheel/kick panel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swayi

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, not noises or loosening the front axle.

I have already tried the third alignment and now I have finally made it clear that there can be no great differences between the threads of the steering column ends(tie rod end) on the right and the left.

Set the wheels to the plane but now I have the steering wheel turned 90 degrees. How do I set the steering wheel straight? The steering wheel can not change the steering column and the steering column is only 180 degrees.

Does this mean that someone has in the past replaced the wrong pitman arm? And put him in the wrong position?

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AS to the front end alignment- do not move the steering wheel. The tie rods have to be adjusted to make the steering wheel straight. If there is a worrying difference between the length of the tie rods, check for bent or damaged parts.

About the wheels dragging in tight turns: Make sure the rear end has not been modified to lock. Lift up one rear wheel and turn it by hand with the parking brake disengaged and transmission in neutral to verify proper operation.

OP
OP
Swayi

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear differential is OK, it is not blocked.

4wd HI and 4wd LO work without errors.

Now that I've been the tie rods on both sides to the same length, the dragging wheels are not that big.

I thought it might happen that someone gave the pitman arm a wrong turn, so I can not set the steering wheel straight.

One Groove Spline turned ?

OP
OP
Swayi

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With this setting, I also have a different radius of turn to the right and to the left.

OP
OP
Swayi

Swayi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
the problem is still going on. I guess I know what's causing a tire problem. But I do not know how to solve it.

The tie rod at the right-hand side, when swung to the right, hits the stabilizer. I do not know why.

I replaced the Idler Arm, Idler Arm Bracket Assembly, Pitman Arm, Steering Gear, Inner Tie Rods, Ball Joints Lower and Upper, Stabilizer Bar Bushing, Stabilizer Bar Link, Wheel Hubs. I have not just replaced Outer Tie Rods.

He does not know why this is so? The car comes to me that it stands straight.

Center Link is oblique, but I think they probably all have it. I can not imagine how to put the Center Link on the plane when only the Idler Arm and its Bracket Assembly are on the problem side.

Photos below.

Thank you Jakub

IMG_20181016_140800.jpg IMG_20181016_140843.jpg IMG_20181016_154325.jpg IMG_20181016_154335.jpg IMG_20181016_154352.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the work yourself or someone else? Was the centerlink removed entirely when servicing the idler/pitman? It looks like it was installed backwards and needs to be flipped 180* horizontal. The "tie rod droops" should angle to the rear of the vehicle and your pics look angled to the front. @SnowDrifter has a thread here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/scrubbing-binding-while-turning-at-near-full-lock.86256/ that helped me greatly as mine was installed incorrectly as well when I had front end work done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9