Tahoe is knocking, maybe im just crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was returning a redbox, and I left my motor running. I noticed a quiet clicking coming from it as I waited in line... Got home, and recorded it. Video is kinda crappy, and it is at night but all that really matters is the sound anyways. Tell me what you think, is it a knock, is it bad, is it normal, am I just paranoid?
First part is outside engine bay under passenger wheel well, next is inside the bay by the battery. I just noticed this sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB5QV3jHN3U

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats not a "knock" but its defiantly making a noise but couldn't make a good suggestion what it is without hearing it personally. it could be the injectors, they make little clicking noises but not real loud. or it could be something wrong in the valve train. it doesnt sound bad enough to freak out about it. i have heard these engines making some hellashious noises and never skip a beat. just keep paying attention to it and if it gets significantly harder or louder take it to a shop fast. if you easily get paranoid it wouldnt hurt to just take it to a mechanic and let him give you his input. mine was noisy and i put some sea foam in it and right after got some Valvaleen oil and a quart of Lucas oil treatment and it runs real smooth and quiet now.

Last edited:

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
I have the same noise. it goes away at about 600-700 rpms right? I think its a sticky valve or something. I ran a can of seafoam through the oil a while back and it went away. After a couple months it was back, but im not sweating it. It almost sounds like and exhaust leak but its not.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow if you guys think that is bad you should hear the sounds that come out of my 5.7 motor. i go by if there is no metal in the oil i wouldnt worry about it

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
check the following...

make sure all pluggs are securly seated, tightly, in place. A lose spark plugg can make that "clicking" noise...

Didnt solve the problem?

not check for air leaks...

Start at the manifold and make sure you do not have an exhaust leak where the manifold meets the block. This is not the easiest of tasks. The move on to where the exhaust manifold meets the down pipe at the flange. These can leak and make a noise like I heard in that video.

Lastly, I believe that noise can be made by an intake manifold leak... however I am not 100% sure on how to diagnose such a noise.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
yea lifter..thats it..it would sound a lot worse if a valve was stuck.haha

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, everyone is telling me different things... So I am in the process of seafoamin her right now... Also, I had a massive exhaust leak a few months back, the flange broke or something, I'm not sure but it sounded loud as hell so I took to a shop and they welded it up for $40. Maybe it still has a small leak?

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
the recording was very unclear on my factory lap-top computers... so any one of the things mentioned above seems plausable... but it sounded like an air leak to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman