Tahoe front wheel well SPATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
You were close enough, thanks. The explanation doesn’t make them look any better. If my 24 RST comes through with them I may have to deal with them the way n4gkj did. My current 2016 LT has the extended plastic skirt on the lower front but certainly nothing as crazy looking as these “spat” things.

jeffluan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with them at all. There not doing any harm. If you remove them it could affect your warranty as well as selling it later on. They're there for an obvious reason. Trust me when I say this they don't have tinted glass anymore so they can cut down on cost. Do you think they'd put them on if they weren't needed?

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with them at all. There not doing any harm. If you remove them it could affect your warranty as well as selling it later on. They're there for an obvious reason. Trust me when I say this they don't have tinted glass anymore so they can cut down on cost. Do you think they'd put them on if they weren't needed?
Point taken Jeff. In answer to your last question as to whether they’re needed or not I can’t say. My current observation is half of them have them and half of them don’t.

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
Wasn’t my intent to do anything that violated this forum’s protocol or offend anyone. My apologies if I did that.

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the rst trim and that was one of the things we didn't like. We need ground clearance during winter.

Ended up getting a Z71 because of the look of the front end and wife wanted something like my Trailboss!!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you offended anyone by trying to learn about a product. There are a number of members on here who gave you the correct answer: they are a product of the ever evolving CAFE game of mpg and credits the automakers have to deal with/play in order to sell lower mpg vehicles alongside smaller, higher mpg, vehicles.

They are designed to cut down on drag from air coming into contact with the tire. Direct air down and away, or up and over, to make a brick try to slip through the air. As mpg restrictions on vehicles less than 8600 gvw (read not commercial/heavy duty trucks), get tighter, these are ways to try and squeak out 1/10 mpg here and there........when you get a handful that work together, theoretically they will combine and improve the mpg rating. Which, when certified, helps the overall CAFE.

CAFE also includes many other mpg saving attempts incorporated into these trucks that have been the bane of some members existence.....AFM, DFM, Trans thermostats, 0w-20 oil, grill shutters, lower aerodynamic body lines, etc. All these add a certain amount of mpg gain in a controlled test environment - not so much in the real world with different driving habits, maintenance practices, etc.

While some have been quite good in justification, and the advancement of engineering and manufacturing processes, others have checked a box out of necessity, not necessarily to make a durable product.

To answer the question about voiding warranty. I don't belive it would make one bit of difference if you removed them however you see fit. It's a wind deflector, not an air scoop to direct cooling air to a certain component. (Some cars have scoops in the aero package to cool turbos, etc).

Long winded, but hopefully it all makes sense

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
I don't think you offended anyone by trying to learn about a product. There are a number of members on here who gave you the correct answer: they are a product of the ever evolving CAFE game of mpg and credits the automakers have to deal with/play in order to sell lower mpg vehicles alongside smaller, higher mpg, vehicles.

They are designed to cut down on drag from air coming into contact with the tire. Direct air down and away, or up and over, to make a brick try to slip through the air. As mpg restrictions on vehicles less than 8600 gvw (read not commercial/heavy duty trucks), get tighter, these are ways to try and squeak out 1/10 mpg here and there........when you get a handful that work together, theoretically they will combine and improve the mpg rating. Which, when certified, helps the overall CAFE.

CAFE also includes many other mpg saving attempts incorporated into these trucks that have been the bane of some members existence.....AFM, DFM, Trans thermostats, 0w-20 oil, grill shutters, lower aerodynamic body lines, etc. All these add a certain amount of mpg gain in a controlled test environment - not so much in the real world with different driving habits, maintenance practices, etc.

While some have been quite good in justification, and the advancement of engineering and manufacturing processes, others have checked a box out of necessity, not necessarily to make a durable product.

To answer the question about voiding warranty. I don't belive it would make one bit of difference if you removed them however you see fit. It's a wind deflector, not an air scoop to direct cooling air to a certain component. (Some cars have scoops in the aero package to cool turbos, etc).

Long winded, but hopefully it all makes sense
Yes, totally makes sense, I appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to explain and educate me with this. If my new one comes through with them they won’t be there long. Thanks guys!

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things are needed to protect the hood of the car from waves when driving through puddles. On my previous Mercedes GLS car, they came off, I didn’t change them because it was very expensive. So after they came off any small puddle, much more water and dirt began to pour onto the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts