Tahoe door keypad installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEIS

Reaction score
Getting a door keypad (part #23473339) installed at the dealership next week ($125 for the part, and .3 hours of labor). My last vehicle was an F-250, and I loved being able to lock my keys in the truck while I was in the gym, on a run, or going on the boat.

I talked to a mechanic in the shop and found out that GM's keypad is different from Ford's keypad. GM's door keypad is run off it's own battery, connects wirelessly to the vehicle (not hardwired in), it is programmed to the Body Control Module (key fobs don't have to be re-programmed), and doesn't require anything to be drilled into the vehicle...

I asked the mechanic if he's ever had to replace a battery in one, and he said no.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Any pros/cons? Attached is a picture of the keypad. Thanks!

keypad.jpg

Last edited:

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been wanting one for a long time now. From what I've found they are only for 2017 and newer though. Sucks having this old 2016 I guess.
In a perfect world this is where I'd put it:

post-54656-149148742972_thumb.jpg

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post up some pictures and keep us updated after install, I'm curious how it goes. I like the idea and saw it on the fords for a long time but, it seems like they have stopped using these. I've seen a couple people who can actually get into these after the number pads are worn down a bit and they know most of the number involved for your code. It's basically just a guess at the number order if they have time to work at it. I don't think it's very likely that people do this but I figured I'd throw it out there that I have seen it opened this way.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been wanting one for a long time now. From what I've found they are only for 2017 and newer though. Sucks having this old 2016 I guess.

View attachment 193843

I feel like that location would get a lot of water, snow, etc. I wonder how long the electronics would last with it mounted there.

OP
OP
BEIS

BEIS

Reaction score

View attachment 193843

Dude, I don't know about putting the keypad on the windshield...direct impact by water, bugs, wind, windshield washer fluid.. onto a simple plastic electronic component probably made in China, you're asking for trouble

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I don't know about putting the keypad on the windshield...direct impact by water, bugs, wind, windshield washer fluid.. onto a simple plastic electronic component, you're asking for trouble

Fair enough. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about any of this since I have a 16. Wouldn't all those things you mentioned (water, bugs, wind) cause you trouble having it stuck onto your door as well? I'd rather not see it, but know it's there.. so maybe inside the gas door.

OP
OP
BEIS

BEIS

Reaction score
Fair enough. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about any of this since I have a 16. Wouldn't all those things you mentioned (water, bugs, wind) cause you trouble having it stuck onto your door as well? I'd rather not see it, but know it's there.. so maybe inside the gas door.

Man, that sucks. I really wonder why? Maybe the body control module is different from 16 to 17. I like your line of thinking though about concealing it. Now you got me thinking...

OP
OP
BEIS

BEIS

Reaction score
Please post up some pictures and keep us updated after install, I'm curious how it goes. I like the idea and saw it on the fords for a long time but, it seems like they have stopped using these.

Will do man. I'm pretty excited about it, because I thought they were going to charge way more than $125 for the part. Ford still has the keypads, but they are integrated into the B pillars, not raised up as buttons on some models. The buttons light up as you move your fingers across them (my wife's Ford Explorer has this). In fact, you wouldn't know that the hidden keypad existed on the B pillar by just walking/driving past. Picture is below.

Believe it or not, I know people that have liked the keypad so much, that they didn't buy a GM vehicle simply because they don't offer this option from the factory (it almost detracted me from considering a Tahoe)... Anyways, I was excited to find out about this option today, and can't wait to get it on my truck.

keypad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues