Tahoe 1 Explorer 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Nothing wrong with the GT ecoboost, except the ZR1 with the LT5 spanked it at VIR. Aside from that, the GT is an amazing car.

Cliffjrs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Redlight challenge begins with me letting the Explorer in the left lane get a fender ahead before I jam the skinny/go fast pedal to the bottom and smoke the ford product in less than 3 seconds.

Winning!
Own both a ‘97 EB Explorer with a 5.0 and an ‘01 Tahoe with a 5.3. Both have over 200,000 miles. The Ford Service has been minimal brakes and plugs. The Tahoe on the other hand has continually had electrical and sensor malfunctions a long with brakes and plugs. Ford has a better ride. Tahoe is quicker due to larger engine. Both will ride the interstate at 75 for 12 to 13 hours.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you meant the 3.5 Ecoboost. For the long haul the 5.0 V8 is the better choice IMHO. A friend wanted one of those but somehow I managed to talk him into a Silverado.

Yeah, 3.5 is correct. I crossed it with their 2.7 EB.

I haven't done any further research other than the HP, TQ and MPG figures. The EB is down 20HP, but up 70TQ and at 1,000 RPM lower than the 5.0. The MPG is disappointingly comparable. Maybe he should've went for the Ram EcoDiesel or held out for a Ford or GM 1500 with a 3.0 Diesel.

All things considered, the 5.0 and 3.5 EB are similar enough, I guess. Why do you say the 5.0 is the better choice?

Garandman

Reaction score
I take it this forum, unlike most Car forums, does not prohibit threads on street racing.
Redlight challenge begins with me letting the Explorer in the left lane get a fender ahead before I jam the skinny/go fast pedal to the bottom and smoke the ford product in less than 3 seconds.

Winning!
There is a term for this type of contest. It is known as a “Flyby.”

“The act is typically used in lieu of a genuine speeding contest. The second vehicle is typically piloted by a driver who is unaware of any automotive competition beforehand, is likely driving in high-gear at low RPM and may or may not be adjusting the vehicle's stereo and/or scratching their ******** at the time.”

Body-on-frame SUV’s are pretty powerful these days so they are faster in a straight line than ever before. As soon as there’s a kink in the road, just about anything with IRS will quickly disappear from view.

Garandman

Reaction score
Believe Explorer Sport does 0-60 in 6 seconds and corners at 0.83G. Tahoe: Cornering Not Found (actually its 0.75g, right up there with minivans and 80’s economy sedans).

6.2L Tahoe. Mercedes 2nd roe, Expedition is 3rd row,

acceleration-tahoe-photo-698739-s-original.png

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All things considered, the 5.0 and 3.5 EB are similar enough, I guess. Why do you say the 5.0 is the better choice?

Less fuel dilution issues and carbon buildup. Especially when you sit in tons traffic everyday.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less fuel dilution issues and carbon buildup. Especially when you sit in tons traffic everyday.
Cornering in a stock body on frame might be terrible but those of us who take suspension and braking seriously can outperform most stock vehicles with IRS. I mean, who the hell runs a stock vehicle in any kind of competitive driving? Running with a blower, lowered with huge sway bars and end links, bilsteins, Wilwood brakes, and low profile tires, I can surprise a lot of people with my big ol SUV. So much fun.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe Explorer Sport does 0-60 in 6 seconds and corners at 0.83G.
Yeah I think OP is bragging about outrunning a base 4cycl explorer. Nobody knows I guess, pointless. But hey I can outrun a moped with my burb (w/tow pkg). I think it's super impressive considering its completely gutless and shakes and vibrates periodically upon acceleration.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think OP is bragging about outrunning a base 4cycl explorer. Nobody knows I guess, pointless. But hey I can outrun a moped with my burb (w/tow pkg). I think it's super impressive considering its completely gutless and shakes and vibrates periodically upon acceleration.

Apparently, it doesn't mean a thing unless that moped is made by Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts