Swapping headlight bulbs…HOW THE..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Chickensandwich So your passenger side is difficult because the PPV runs a dual battery set up and it’s located right behind the drivers side headlight? Right?

Wouldn’t unhooking the battery and removing it be easier than taking off the whole front bumper?

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the passenger side was fine, it’s the drivers side. The battery was removed and there is still no way to reach the high beam or blinker.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket bumper removal, two blinkers and one high beam headlight replaced, $480 please. I made sure they topped off the blinker fluid and LED oil while they were in there…it’s the least they could do.

marcello1395

Reaction score
It is a pain, but it is doable without removing the bumper. Small hands also help a lot with this job. I was able to swap both of mine out in maybe an hour or two when I did it.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side was fine, the drivers side, no way to reach the blinker. The bumper had to be removed because one of the blinker bulbs popped out in to the housing. The only way to get it was to remove the housing, thus removing the 190 pound after market bumper, thus, $480 please

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the manufacturers are doing their best to make you come to THEM for the simplest things now, like replacing a headlight bulb. We're holding off on the LED upgrades on our '18 until after my shoulder joint is replaced. It's just to painful to pull all those bolts at this point in time. Sure my bride is great at this sort of work, but there's just a lot of disincentive to do that at this time.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the manufacturers are doing their best to make you come to THEM for the simplest things now, like replacing a headlight bulb. We're holding off on the LED upgrades on our '18 until after my shoulder joint is replaced. It's just to painful to pull all those bolts at this point in time. Sure my bride is great at this sort of work, but there's just a lot of disincentive to do that at this time.
The lights are nice and bright. The OEM lights were yellowish compared to these. In the future, I’d do just the low beam. I rarely use high beam, so lesson learned

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my '07, I remove the entire headlight cluster, and then I change the lights. There are a couple of connector screws on top, and there is 1 connector screw that is located in the wheel well, behind the shroud.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lights are nice and bright. The OEM lights were yellowish compared to these. In the future, I’d do just the low beam. I rarely use high beam, so lesson learned
We put LED on our 2010, and our 2012 9C1, so I know how nice they are. the caprice required just a little hand gymnastics to get into and out of the headlight module. The 2010 required removal of the headlight module to get to the high beam, and then, required a certain type of bulb (one without the fan on the back) to fit.

I'll be putting LEDs on the 2018, but need to wait until I get some quality time in the shop to pull the front end off the truck to get to the light modules.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We put LED on our 2010, and our 2012 9C1, so I know how nice they are. the caprice required just a little hand gymnastics to get into and out of the headlight module. The 2010 required removal of the headlight module to get to the high beam, and then, required a certain type of bulb (one without the fan on the back) to fit.

I'll be putting LEDs on the 2018, but need to wait until I get some quality time in the shop to pull the front end off the truck to get to the light modules.
Exactly…you can’t get to the blinker on the drivers side at all unless you pull the housing out. I have all LEDs in there now so hopefully I’ll never have to go through thst again. If a light burns out, I’m selling the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts