Swapping headlight bulbs…HOW THE..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to put in my LED headlights. I’m also putting in a CAI, so the passenger side was somewhat easy. Moving to the drivers side however…how do you get to the high beam and especially the blinker??

I took the battery out, still can’t get to the high beam to say nothing of reaching the blinker. The wiring inside the low beam is so short that I can’t even pull it out to swap. I tried taking the battery tray out but the fuse panel is in the way and making that incredibly difficult. The washer fluid reservoir is also causing a headache. I’m about to give and put the regular bulbs back in. Am I missing something or is it really this involved for simply replacing headlamp bulbs?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to put in my LED headlights. I’m also putting in a CAI, so the passenger side was somewhat easy. Moving to the drivers side however…how do you get to the high beam and especially the blinker??

I took the battery out, still can’t get to the high beam to say nothing of reaching the blinker. The wiring inside the low beam is so short that I can’t even pull it out to swap. I tried taking the battery tray out but the fuse panel is in the way and making that incredibly difficult. The washer fluid reservoir is also causing a headache. I’m about to give and put the regular bulbs back in. Am I missing something or is it really this involved for simply replacing headlamp bulbs?
depends on the light housing on my 18 silverado the whole housing is modular
1 harness and then everything splits internally (no wires)
blinker bulbs are twist lock on a little adapter with metal contacts
main bulb is HID and also locks in with a clip
outside has a rubber dust cap
there rather complicated
probably why they are $1200 a pop (each) used.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I could take the entire housing out, that would be great, but I have the Fab Four number which is 180 pounds. I’m not take that thing off. You’re supposed to be able to get to these from under the hood and not have to remove the housing. How do these come out?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't say what you're driving, but this might be something.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Tahoe PPV. It’s more if pain due to the second battery and battery tray blocking access to anything below the top low beam. If I could remove the entire assembly easier, I do that!

The video is nice but my high beam on drivers side is not accessible. The battery tray is in the way. Even if I remove it, I doubt I could get my hands down there, much less down to the blinker

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Sparks says: 'Remove the front bumper cover' is step 1. That's like a 30+/- bolt/clip proposition. You might be able to get by by just removing the inner fender liner, but I doubt that. Since you have an aftermarket bumper, who knows what that process is?

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m honestly thinking of either just leaving the bulbs in or taking it to a mechanic to finish the drivers side since I need an alignment check anyway. It’s ridiculous how they didn’t bother to think this through. Since when is removing your front bumper acceptable for this? Access to these bulbs would be difficult for a small Asian girl with tiny hands, much less someone like me

RedInCo

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I walked past a neighbor's house where he had the front bumper removed from a Honda Accord. Yup, changing a bulb.

OP
OP
Chickensandwich

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the passenger LED BLINKER…it popped out and is now inside the housing. Appointment made…it beat me. The CAI and throttle body spacer is in though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC