Swapped steering wheel now my head unit is dead, how to proceed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Levin37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali. Factory steering wheel got a dent in the leather and it started smoking whenever I turned on the heated wheel. Ordered another OEM wheel and swapped it in (and then back out as I ended up getting a wheel with everything but heat). After everything was reinstalled and battery reconnected I got no display on my stereo, no clock, nothing. Rechecked all connections in the steering wheel, everything good. Checked all fuses, good. Pulled the positive terminal off for another 30min, no change. Decided to pull the head unit out and checked power behind, 12V, ~14V when running and another wire has 8-9V which I think is the dimmer, no ignition power wire that I can find. So if there anything else I can try? The unit doesn't have a fuse on the back, do I have to or can I reset the BCM?? I have sourced another OEM deck locally at the wreckers for $200CAN but it will cost another ~$150 to have the dealer reprogram. Would like it fixed as cheaply as possible, so aftermarket deck isn't really an option right now. Thanks in advance for any tips. Cheers.

OP
OP
Levin37

Levin37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: So I found someone on Kijiji with a tech 2 that will reprogram a deck for $80, so I went to the wreckers to grab the used unit. Turned out they already sold it but did have the basic Cd player (US9 vs the UVA my truck has) and let me try it, no power. So now I have confirmed that the deck itself is probably fine but whatever sends it the ignition signal to it isn't working. My understanding it the BCM does this but I have no issues with anything else on the truck, I have exhaustively tested everything and it's all fine. Swapped battery in case it was a voltage issue, alternator is new, have another OEM one I can swap in. Out of ideas, every fuse in every panel is good, have moved them around to other locations to confirm. I have ordered the correct heated steering wheel and will install next week. Not sure how to proceed from there. I need a $150 harness to even put an aftermarket deck in. There has to be a way to reset the deck or the BCM to see it and turn it on. If anyone can provide any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Levin37

Levin37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New OEM heated leather wheel arrived and installed successfully. Still no power to stereo. All chimes still function through the speakers and everything else works flawlessly. Unbelievable that no one else has encountered this issue. I will be ordering a basic aftermarket harness to see if I can get a regular aftermarket deck to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269