Swap 2005 Tahoe Navi stereo with non-Navi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 Tahoe that originally came with Navi stereo and the screen is terrible and the maps are just as bad. I want to swap it out with one of the 6-disc CD stereos of the same year model but I don't want to buy one unless I know it's going to work. It has the Bose package so I would get one that supports that. Does anyone know or made the switch? Do I need to worry about the security stuff that might be a headache?

To be honest, I'm getting ready to sell this Tahoe. I bought a 2001 Tahoe that I'm currently redoing and I'm moving my JVC with android auto over to it. I just want the 2005 Tahoe to have a stereo for whoever I sell it to.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 Tahoe that originally came with Navi stereo and the screen is terrible and the maps are just as bad. I want to swap it out with one of the 6-disc CD stereos of the same year model but I don't want to buy one unless I know it's going to work. It has the Bose package so I would get one that supports that. Does anyone know or made the switch? Do I need to worry about the security stuff that might be a headache?

To be honest, I'm getting ready to sell this Tahoe. I bought a 2001 Tahoe that I'm currently redoing and I'm moving my JVC with android auto over to it. I just want the 2005 Tahoe to have a stereo for whoever I sell it to.
There is someone that buys theses raidos, refurbishes them, and resells. Them. You'll need to Google, them however. And have a really thick wallet, too. I think they go for $500 to $600.

You might look into eBay as well.

And don't forget that radios, unless specified otherwise, are locked to the vehicle in which they were purchased. You then have to go to a dealer and have them reprogrammed.

Good luck.

[ACTUALLY, I had two sites bookmarked. Hope they are helpful]

https://replacementradios.com/silverado-truck-c-21_28_78.html

https://www.mnrelectronics.com/gm-chevy-delco-car-radios/

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you S33k3r! That's kind of what I'm worried about...that security crap that you have to take to a dealer to reprogram. Might be more cost-effective to buy a cheap aftermarket that works with the steering wheel controls.

Anyone know of a way to cheaply reprogram these GM stereos?

There is someone that buys theses raidos, refurbishes them, and resells. Them. You'll need to Google, them however. And have a really thick wallet, too. I think they go for $500 to $600.

You might look into eBay as well.

And don't forget that radios, unless specified otherwise, are locked to the vehicle in which they were purchased. You then have to go to a dealer and have them reprogrammed.

Good luck.

[ACTUALLY, I had two sites bookmarked. Hope they are helpful]

https://replacementradios.com/silverado-truck-c-21_28_78.html

https://www.mnrelectronics.com/gm-chevy-delco-car-radios/

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one of those links I gave you offers that as a service. I have not looked into the cost, however.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any RDS radio will work. Just needs a vin unlock and if it did not come out of a BOSE truck it will need to be programed for BOSE; not a big deal. Just make sure you don't get one from a LUX Y91 set up as those are completely different. I have a BOSE single CD player that IO can sell you for 80.00 plus shipping if interested.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Mr.960 for the offer. If I had seen this, I would have taken you up on it. I went ahead and bought the exact same one (with Bose, single CD, GPS, ect) off Ebay but I'm getting the "Theftlock Activated" message. I called the dealership and they want $189 to fix it. LOL Think I'll shop around a little. Hopefully I can find someone to do it for $60 or less.

any RDS radio will work. Just needs a vin unlock and if it did not come out of a BOSE truck it will need to be programed for BOSE; not a big deal. Just make sure you don't get one from a LUX Y91 set up as those are completely different. I have a BOSE single CD player that IO can sell you for 80.00 plus shipping if interested.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Mr.960 for the offer. If I had seen this, I would have taken you up on it. I went ahead and bought the exact same one (with Bose, single CD, GPS, ect) off Ebay but I'm getting the "Theftlock Activated" message. I called the dealership and they want $189 to fix it. LOL Think I'll shop around a little. Hopefully I can find someone to do it for $60 or less.
that's b.s. my dealer does it for free, you just pull up to the service area, tell them you had to replace the radio/or tell them you had to disconnect the battery and it came back up like that, they press a couple button combinations on it to get a code, they go inside call gm, gm gives a unlock code, they press the code in on the buttons on the radio, bam done, takes 5 minutes.

optionally it can be done with a tech2 and a $40 fee to acdelco tds.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Doubleleive! Man I got excited when I saw your link. Unfortunately, my stereo is the NAVI kind so they have to hook it up.

I found a place that will do it for $50 (he has a Tech2) but he's wondering if he'll need special software and said that if he did need it, it would raise the price about $90. Of all I've read about it, I haven't seen anywhere that someone needed extra software on a Tech2 in order to make it work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google like I did and follow that first link
theft1.JPG
Thank you Doubleleive! Man I got excited when I saw your link. Unfortunately, my stereo is the NAVI kind so they have to hook it up.

I found a place that will do it for $50 (he has a Tech2) but he's wondering if he'll need special software and said that if he did need it, it would raise the price about $90. Of all I've read about it, I haven't seen anywhere that someone needed extra software on a Tech2 in order to make it work.
The tech2 will have to be connected to a pc serial port, the $40 fee will have to be paid to acdelco tds, this fee gives you 2yrs unlimited programming (per vin) so it is only for your truck.
the software is free and is all java based download thru the internet and there is no additional software needed or required other than windows operating system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr