Suspension still stiff and jumpy after overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The shocks on the front were about the same size. New ones were a bit longer.

New Rear shock were noticeably smaller in diameter.
Old ones were real fat.

Likely the ones you removed were the Nivomat self-adjusting shocks. Bilstein specifies changing the springs when converting to conventional shocks:

1650292238566.png

Owners (and members here) have experienced stability issues (read: squirrely handling) when the springs aren't changed.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Take it to the factory recommended 35 and your harsh ride should diminish.
Why are you running that much pressure?
Im sure it would ride smoother but a max 80 psi tire should never be run that low of pressure-he is about as low as i would go with that load rating tire.The factory recommended tire pressure of 35psi is not for an E rated tire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Take it to the factory recommended 35 and your harsh ride should diminish.
Why are you running that much pressure?
I forget the rating of the tire but the max is 80psi. I’ve tried putting them at 35-45 but my gas milage goes to crap and I can feel the tires rolling over on themselves when taking turns, almost like a stumble. Also look flat lol. This is why I keep ‘em at 65.

OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Likely the ones you removed were the Nivomat self-adjusting shocks. Bilstein specifies changing the springs when converting to conventional shocks:

View attachment 368309

Owners (and members here) have experienced stability issues (read: squirrely handling) when the springs aren't changed.
I’m gonna end up just buying the nivomats and selling my 5100s. They’re still brand new. Less than 500 miles on them. I’m glad I joined this forum. I should’ve a long time ago. When I had my P71s I was on crownvic.net learning everything.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure it would ride smoother but a max 80 psi tire should never be run that low of pressure-he is about as low as i would go with that load rating tire.The factory recommended tire pressure of 35psi is not for an E rated tire.
And thats why you dont run an E tire on something not meant for it. The ride will be harsh, wear will be inconsistent and traction will be compromised for accelerating, braking, and as he noted turning. Why, because it is designed to carry a load at a given pressure.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget the rating of the tire but the max is 80psi. I’ve tried putting them at 35-45 but my gas milage goes to crap and I can feel the tires rolling over on themselves when taking turns, almost like a stumble. Also look flat lol. This is why I keep ‘em at 65.
Nivomats may help some but the brunt of the issue is the E rated tires at more psi than the vehicles suspension is designed to absorb.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nivomats may help some but the brunt of the issue is the E rated tires at more psi than the vehicles suspension is designed to absorb.

I would agree. I have standard rated truck/SUV tires on my '04 with Premium Smooth Ride and run them at 40 psi. It's not exactly smooth but I'm okay with it. But I wouldn't want it any harsher.

If the Nivomats were still working okay when you removed them, I'd either put them back on, or replace the springs, keeping the shock/springs in the recommended set. And think about ditching the E-rated tires.

You can test the Nivomats' self-adjusting feature by measuring the rear bumper height, then loading up 200-300 lbs in the back. Measure the squat height, then drive a few blocks; they should recover the original height -- or close to it -- by then. They won't compensate until they "work" a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Can I remove both torsion bars at the same time? I’m trying to locate some bushings for the lower control arms and wanted to do both at the same time. And would I need to do anything special in the process like alignment ect.

OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
I would agree. I have standard rated truck/SUV tires on my '04 with Premium Smooth Ride and run them at 40 psi. It's not exactly smooth but I'm okay with it. But I wouldn't want it any harsher.

If the Nivomats were still working okay when you removed them, I'd either put them back on, or replace the springs, keeping the shock/springs in the recommended set. And think about ditching the E-rated tires.

You can test the Nivomats' self-adjusting feature by measuring the rear bumper height, then loading up 200-300 lbs in the back. Measure the squat height, then drive a few blocks; they should recover the original height -- or close to it -- by then. They won't compensate until they "work" a little.
I wish. I trashed them. SMH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094