Suspension Puzzle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulutions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2000 Tahoe Z71 4x4, 5.7 with torsion suspension. I am having a problem that seems so ridiculous that I figure the solution must be staring me right in the face. I am wanting to replace control arms, ball joints, swing arm and shocks. My stock lower control arms have a pronged shock mount for a shock with an eyelet on each end that a mounting bolt goes through. All of the aftermarket control arms seem to have an eyelet mount for a shock with a pronged end to attach to. I can not seem to find a shock with a pronged bottom and an eyelet at the top or a control arm with a pronged mount. What gives? What do I have to do? Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 7.45.37 PM.png20220526_193531.jpg20220526_193516.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your stock one is the style you need. For 5.7L

OP
OP
P

paulutions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can only find one side of the control arms. They're discontinued.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Yeah, you have the stamped steel lower arm not the forged one for the new body style. Can’t just put a new shock on it either to match the forged arm because the top of the new shock has a stud mount sticking off the top. Maybe search for a pre- ‘99 lower control arm. They should be the same. Or even a k1500 truck should be what you need.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but I think you’re SOL. I just did some searching for you and that stamped steel lower arm is not available anywhere I looked. Seems like most guys are buying them at salvage yards and refurbishing them.
If yours isn’t bent or rusted out, your only option would be replacing the bushings and ball joint and keep running it. Had I known this I wood have saved mine when I pulled them off my truck when I did the solid axle swap.
They were right there in that pile of parts. Sorry. 11F39220-65B1-4EB1-8F24-B5325DBDA9B4.jpeg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common problem I ran in to when I had my 99 GMC Sierra Z71 Vin R 5.7L was if I didnt look up parts for a 99 K1500 (K denotes 4x4 and 1500 1/2 ton) I ended up with new chassis style parts that were not remotely even close to being compatible. So If I looked up a part for 99 Sierra 4x4 I would end up with the newer chassis parts. That wont work. You will also notice that the if a parts person looks up a 2000 Tahoe LS, LT that the 5.7L was not even offered in that configuration but was the only engine offered in the 2000 Tahoe Z71. 2000 was a transitional year as was 1999 depending on Chevy/GMC, Model and even Chassis size (1500,2500,3500).
If your old control arms are not bent or cracked then just have them sandblasted and hit with some paint. A trick I learned from a buddy that works on semis for a living to save time..... Old bushings are NOT worth the hassle they provide to knock out with a press. He just hits them with a torch and the rubber catches on fire and they fall right out. After control arm is all cleaned up then press the new ones in. Torching the old ones out literally takes a few minutes. You could likely do this with a LP torch too.