Suspension for Dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with the z55 suspension package. I tow a heavy trailer and camper great distances. Last fall I blew a shock or air bladder again and would like to convert to a conventional system. Buying a new truck is not in the cards so I need it to tow more like a pick-up to get the most use out of it. I see folks really like Bilstein parts but I am unable to find the system for z55. I am not interested in the resistors for getting rid of the idiot lights, just the 4 shocks and springs. I have read almost all the threads on this topic but have not found Bilsteins for my Tahoe. Is Arnott comparable?

Thank you

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with the z55 suspension package. I tow a heavy trailer and camper great distances. Last fall I blew a shock or air bladder again and would like to convert to a conventional system. Buying a new truck is not in the cards so I need it to tow more like a pick-up to get the most use out of it. I see folks really like Bilstein parts but I am unable to find the system for z55. I am not interested in the resistors for getting rid of the idiot lights, just the 4 shocks and springs. I have read almost all the threads on this topic but have not found Bilsteins for my Tahoe. Is Arnott comparable?

Thank you
Hello, anyone......

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you

Welcome to the forum Mark! Do you want plain shocks without load leveling? Arnott would be self-adjusting shocks on the rear. Your Z55 of course has a compressor and load leveling gear in addition to the air shocks.

So if you want the Nivomat/Arnott style rears, you'll look for options that come with the ZW7/G69 suspension package.

If you want plain old dumb shocks look for just ZW7.

I have the numbers for my truck but not yours.

Plug your VIN in here and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Then you can go aftermarket if desired.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mornin, maybe someone will chime in with the correct part numbers, or i would just search for same year without the magnetic ride control and rear air assist, all the parts mount exactly the same
there are no air bladders on the front shocks, the magnetic ride control is all that is up front..if you use a different shock with out the resistor it just lights up a couple of messages on the dash, same as the rear. the resistors are like $20 for 4, small price to not have to clear messaged every time you start truck

rear: if you pull the air assist, i think the springs are different for with and without air.. i imagine youll be left with the lighter duty of the two. you can grab the heavy duty spring or go with the airlift style kit that puts a bladder inside the coil...which you may want to do anyway with heavy trailer

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you want to get rid of just the auto-leveling (air) part of the Autoride system?

There aren't any real options for this since removing the air system can be viewed as a safety concern since the air system is part of the vehicle's load capacity rating. Removing the air portion makes the coils 100% responsible for the load. This is something aftermarket manufacturers wouldn't wanna get involved in. Arnott's solution is a heavier-duty coil and accompanying shock package, but the shocks don't have the electronically variable valving so they come with Arnott's "bypass module" (resistors with a fancier name and sold at a much higher price).

For what you wanna do, I say you just disable the air system and add a set of Airlift helper bags. You'll be able to keep your variable electronic damping in the shocks and will have the necessary air support when towing. Actually, you'll have more capacity and reliability with the load bags.

Although, I wonder if you can connect the OEM compressor to the load bags so the system still functions automatically. It'd be like keeping it stock, but with the air bladders replaced with air bellows and relocated to inside the coils. All you'd need is to connect the OEM air lines to the load bag's port. I think they're different sizes, but maybe the OEM air line will fit inside the load bag's air line? You could apply some epoxy and slip one inside the other and have a simple upgrade while maintaining all original functions.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mark! Do you want plain shocks without load leveling? Arnott would be self-adjusting shocks on the rear. Your Z55 of course has a compressor and load leveling gear in addition to the air shocks.

So if you want the Nivomat/Arnott style rears, you'll look for options that come with the ZW7/G69 suspension package.

If you want plain old dumb shocks look for just ZW7.

I have the numbers for my truck but not yours.

Plug your VIN in here and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Then you can go aftermarket if desired.
Thank you some solutions. I'm just looking for the shocks, not load leveling since I use a weight distribution hitch that pulls the rear up anyway. Some forums mentioned adding a airbag in the coil or helper when just going to regular shocks??? Almost overwhelmingly people like the Bilstein 4600 when doing this project, but it says it won't work with z55, or police model.....why not? I thought all the chassis would be the same. Unless they think I'm trying to replace the factory type scenario utilizing the air compressor and electronic system.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mornin, maybe someone will chime in with the correct part numbers, or i would just search for same year without the magnetic ride control and rear air assist, all the parts mount exactly the same
there are no air bladders on the front shocks, the magnetic ride control is all that is up front..if you use a different shock with out the resistor it just lights up a couple of messages on the dash, same as the rear. the resistors are like $20 for 4, small price to not have to clear messaged every time you start truck

rear: if you pull the air assist, i think the springs are different for with and without air.. i imagine youll be left with the lighter duty of the two. you can grab the heavy duty spring or go with the airlift style kit that puts a bladder inside the coil...which you may want to do anyway with heavy trailer
That is really helpful information easy for me to grasp. Thank you, you answered my questions.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you some solutions. I'm just looking for the shocks, not load leveling since I use a weight distribution hitch that pulls the rear up anyway. Some forums mentioned adding a airbag in the coil or helper when just going to regular shocks??? Almost overwhelmingly people like the Bilstein 4600 when doing this project, but it says it won't work with z55, or police model.....why not? I thought all the chassis would be the same. Unless they think I'm trying to replace the factory type scenario utilizing the air compressor and electronic system.

Yes, when they say it's for this or that it pertains to that installed suspension system. You can put dumb shocks and matching springs in place of the originals and disable the air/magnetic or whatever was there originally.

Putting Air Lift springs inside the coils is a common mod to help keep the trucks level; same thing we used to do when drag racing.

So yes, you can go 4600s or 5100s and call it a day shocks wise.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, when they say it's for this or that it pertains to that installed suspension system. You can put dumb shocks and matching springs in place of the originals and disable the air/magnetic or whatever was there originally.

Putting Air Lift springs inside the coils is a common mod to help keep the trucks level; same thing we used to do when drag racing.

Very helpful and thank you for getting back to me with great information. Helpful site!

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score