Suspension for Dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, one more question..... Would you be so helpful as to advise me what if any type of airbag in the new rear spring I should use? I do plan on purchasing the billstein 4600 conversion kit and new springs as well. Also will replace front shocks as well since everything has the same miles on it (125k). Would the new springs be sufficient enough? It's my understanding that when going to the gas shocks they recommend changing the springs since they will be supporting the load and the auto level will no longer be in play. Thus, I'm assuming they will be heavier duty than the originals I'm taking out.
Really sorry if I'm annoying anyone with the same question different ways.
Appreciate the help!
Mark

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one more question..... Would you be so helpful as to advise me what if any type of airbag in the new rear spring I should use? I do plan on purchasing the billstein 4600 conversion kit and new springs as well. Also will replace front shocks as well since everything has the same miles on it (125k). Would the new springs be sufficient enough? It's my understanding that when going to the gas shocks they recommend changing the springs since they will be supporting the load and the auto level will no longer be in play. Thus, I'm assuming they will be heavier duty than the originals I'm taking out.
Really sorry if I'm annoying anyone with the same question different ways.
Appreciate the help!
Mark

That's why I mentioned just adding the air bags to what you have now. You would have the softer ride when not towing and be able to air up the bags for the times when you do, rather than just have firm heavy-duty springs at all times.

When you said you weren't interested in the resistors to turn off the lights, I thought you meant you wanted to keep the Autoride system functional instead of tricking it and just wanted a solution for getting rid of the factory air system.

woody73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am doing my z55 delite right now i used KYB SR4079 Strut-Plus complete with springs And for the rear i used KYB 555054 shocks with the airlift bags and airlift compressor kit with gauge and controls. And replaced all upper and lower control arms. The airlift bags are a bear to get them in the springs. Everything bolts up fine no mods. And I'm sure these are better shocks than arnotts kit.
mail
qid=dd0c88d8-8468-d811-1c1a-5b002801d200&sig=353.Q.jpg
mail
AIR-60769
Air Springs, Rear, Kit
(Mfr. #: 60769)
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$85.99
mail
mail
$85.99
mail

mail

mail

mail
com%2Fglobal%2Fimages%2Fprod%2Fsmall%2Fair-25854_s.jpg
mail
AIR-25854
Air Compressor, Heavy Duty, Load Controller I System, 12 V DC, 10 amps, Dash Panel, Wiring Harness, Kit
(Mfr. #: 25854)
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$225.99
mail
mail
$225.99

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing my z55 delite right now i used KYB SR4079 Strut-Plus complete with springs And for the rear i used KYB 555054 shocks with the airlift bags and airlift compressor kit with gauge and controls. And replaced all upper and lower control arms. The airlift bags are a bear to get them in the springs. Everything bolts up fine no mods. And I'm sure these are better shocks than arnotts kit.
mail
mail
AIR-60769
Air Springs, Rear, Kit
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$85.99
mail
mail
$85.99
mail

mail

mail

mail
mail
AIR-25854
Air Compressor, Heavy Duty, Load Controller I System, 12 V DC, 10 amps, Dash Panel, Wiring Harness, Kit
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$225.99
mail
mail
$225.99

I know it's late now for you, but I wanted to mention this for the OP: I used a vacuum pump to deflate and squish the air bags I removed from some coils. I think a good shop vac with the hose put squarely on the top of the bag over the air hose port would accomplish the same. Flatten the bag with the vacuum, hold it squished up and slip it between the coils.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned just adding the air bags to what you have now. You would have the softer ride when not towing and be able to air up the bags for the times when you do, rather than just have firm heavy-duty springs at all times.

When you said you weren't interested in the resistors to turn off the lights, I thought you meant you wanted to keep the Autoride system functional instead of tricking it and just wanted a solution for getting rid of the factory air system.

OP
OP
B

Bloody Knuckle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning! Can I vent on this forum?
I am a very handy person but automotive is my weakness. Mainly my dad didn't work on cars so I never picked it up...... I am on this forum because of local mechanics, dealership and even buddies that didn't want to be involved in this project or just dont
know enough and are not interested in doing the research. Guess it's just easier for them to install OEM and be done, like robots. What happened to figuring stuff out, saving money and helping out? Maybe it's the geographical area I reside in, or just my generation??
You folks are here because you have knowledge and passion for our vehicles which cost a fortune these days. You also don't mind lending your experience or expertise and I appreciate that.
I'll post my results soon and hope this helps another.
Note: I was going back and forth through my notes I've accumulated this week and revisited some websites. Apparently as of a few days ago Arnott no longer sells to the public. You have to go through a dealer. Once again tying our hands financially!

-Mark
New Hampshire

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most people are smart enough not to listen to our advice, but thanks!

seriously though i know what you mean, friend whom i have do routine maintenance and send other to all the time is the same way... if it wasnt specifically designed for whatever application some part is used for he wont touch it. i bring up "wild" ideas all the time and thats the first question i get, if it doesnt work o well out a few bux and a little bit of time.

outerorbiter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mail
mail
AIR-60769
Air Springs, Rear, Kit
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$85.99
mail
mail
$85.99
mail

mail

mail

mail
mail
AIR-25854
mail

Ready to Ship
Ground

mail
$225.99
mail
mail
$225.99

Are you using the factory rear coils?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hopefully this will help muddy the waters for you... Errrrr.... I mean, clear things up.

You will definitely want to swap the rear springs out if you tow and are eliminating the auto level control.

The Z71 rear springs are a popular swap from what I understand.

The Air Lift helper bladders/bags will give you an extra 1000lbs load carrying capacity.

You DO NOT want to try hooking the factory air ride compressor to the Air Lift helper bags because it will rupture them.

The factory air ride compressor is capable of air pressure up to 150+ PSI.

The Air Lift helper bags are rated to a maximum of like 35-50 PSI... I can't remember right off.

If you tow ALOT and don't mind a firmer ride I would suggest either the factory rear shocks for a PPV Tahoe OR the KYB Monomax shocks for the rear of a Suburban/Tahoe.

The Monomax are advertised as 40% firmer and are designed for tow rigs.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec