Sunroofs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody have issues with them?
Leaks etc?

I’ve never really been a fan. I have no personal experience either good or bad but I’ve heard about clogged channels etc.

I think cutting a hole in the roof is not good.

Convince me otherwise

Last edited:

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a major issue with the Pano roof in a 2008 GMC Acadia, never any issues with the sunroof, but the pano roofs in the GMC and the Saturn models during that time period were a major issue, we had our new Acadia then for about two and half years when after some good rainfall we started having issues that we could not figure out why they were happening...weird stuff, started battling with GM and then one day during a rainfall we started driving down the street and my kids said, Dad water is coming down from the overhead lights, I hit the brakes and all of a sudden a rush of water poured onto my feet from under the dash...car was soaked due to a faulty weather lining on the Pano roofs, was a known issue by techs with GM, but little was talked about. Make a long story short, we Lemon Lawed the car back to GM on the advice from a Svc. Manager at GM, even gave me the Law office to contact, went through the process and got back $3k more than what I initially put down on the car after Lawyer expenses were paid. Was the only way we were going to get any satisfaction, GM just hopes you go away, or trade or sell the problem to someone else.
As for the sunroofs, never had any issues, however I have heard some issues with the roof mount antenna in front of the sunroofs? If you are having issues, it could be from there?
Also, on my previous vehicle a 2011 Suburban, I had some paint lifting with some rust issues starting under the roof rack mount, but I had also switched from the standard racks to Escalade ESV racks, so that could have been my own fault.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have and never had a sunroof on a truck. I’m usually too tall to get them but I fit in the current Tahoe/burb with them. I’m looking at picking up a 19 burb with the enhanced premier pkg. part of the pkg is a must have sunroof. Everything else I can change but not the roof.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Every newer car I've bought over the past 20+ years has had a "moonroof." I've never had a problem, and have never known anyone else who had a problem, either.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No mechanical issues, though the sunroof design on the Tahoe/Yukon is pretty unusable when open. The cloth diffuser makes a ton of hissing wind noise; the only thing worse is the buffeting noise you get when you push the thing down with your hand.

You really can't have the sunroof open at any considerable speed unless you have a high tolerance for road noise.

I've never seen a cloth diffuser on a sunroof on any other vehicle. It doesn't work well, and it seems like designs that do work well are no huge secret. Head scratcher.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Pano roofs are great for leased vehicles where the warranty matches the lease term, otherwise they’re not ready for prime time.

I’ve always had a sunroof as the car drives PCH daily. The version in the Chevy/GM truck platform is stout compared to other manufacturers roof holes. I’m not sure if GM subs out the sunroof assemblies or if they’re homemade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No mechanical issues, though the sunroof design on the Tahoe/Yukon is pretty unusable when open. The cloth diffuser makes a ton of hissing wind noise; the only thing worse is the buffeting noise you get when you push the thing down with your hand.

You really can't have the sunroof open at any considerable speed unless you have a high tolerance for road noise.

I've never seen a cloth diffuser on a sunroof on any other vehicle. It doesn't work well, and it seems like designs that do work well are no huge secret. Head scratcher.

I agree here with regards to the diffuser that is used on the Tahoes. I rarely ever have it open as it just creates too much noise and I can barely hear what my kid is trying to say from the back seat when it's open....may or may not be a good thing depending upon the day! Ha!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My mom has had sunroofs on all her cars for the last 10 or so years and I love having it. I wasn’t specifically looking for one with a sunroof when I bought my 2006 Denali but it has one and I love it! I can roll down the SoCal freeways with mine open and it’s not loud at all. I can talk on the phone with it open and be heard on the other end. But mine also has a plastic air deflector that flips up not a cloth one. That probably makes a big difference. I will say that I’m disappointed in that the plastic track pieces have broken and lodged into the track and my sunroof won’t open. It tilts up but doesn’t slide back. I’ve seen this happen to a lot of GMT800 platform trucks and I guess it’s pretty common in this gen. Not sure about the newer generation trucks. I’ve also never seen that happen to any of the sunroofs my moms vehicles have had over the years either. But oh well. There’s a kit that has metal track pieces to replace the broken ones. I plan on grabbing one soon and diving into the project. Not gonna be easy but will be worth it because I really miss being able to open my sunroof! I vote sunroof is a good option! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan