Sunroofs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had them in vehicles on and off for 20+ years, never had one leak, but you do need to pour water in the channel of the sunroof track in each corner from time to time and make sure it still drains properly. Can be an issue if you park your vehicle outside where various debris can build up, or if you don't wash your car very often.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my vehicles for the past 15 years have had power sunroofs with zero issues. I usually opt for the higher trim levels of vehicles I purchase (used) and with that having a sunroof is almost unavaoidable. I find that I really don’t use them that often.

Honestly; I don’t use them enough to “have” to have them, but I’m not buying vehicles brand new or optioning a new vehicle so that I can chose if there’s a sunroof or not. They’re def not a deal breaker for me whether it’s there or not.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
I am not a fan of a sunroof/moonroof but most cars have them. I searched for a year to in find a tahoe/yukon with all the stuff I was insistent upon, but without a sunroof. I had to give up my 20" wheels for 18's but the 18's ride nice, and I gave up my tow package, but I tow little and drive lots. I love my SLT with 2nd row bench and NO SUNROOF!!!!!!

I have 3 teens very close in age, well the oldest just turned 21 but..... my oldest has ripped a headliner from a car from driving around with the sunroof open all the time, costly repair, of course a broken belt took out the engine before we ever had to address. My cars that he drove he'd leave the sunroof open and I had water get in my Jeep I had previously. When we bought him a car, a used Jetta, we searched until we found one without a sunroof. I have a teen daughter with a Jeep Liberty with a sunroof - took it through a car wash with the sunroof open - my youngest and I can still laugh till we cry over that one. Ugh! They don't see much use, I think they are stupid, to be honest, I think depending on your location, they are just one more thing that can fail.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last roof that leaked on me was my 79 Trans Ams. Wife has a 2011 Enclave. We bought it used. No issues and she has the big glass roof in the 2nd row along with the sun roof.

I had a Sunroof installed in my 2008 Avalanche. Blue Sky Auto in north jersey did the work. It was a Suncoast sunroof or something - the big name brand the dealerships use when you buy a "dealer installed sunroof". The fit an finish was impeccable and the button to control it looked better and "more factory" than my neighbor's 2013 Avalanche with an actual factory sunroof. Never leaked, always worked.

David Kriss

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon XL. My wife uses the sun roof a lot. I had to have the slide mechanism replaced a couple years ago because part of it came apart. At least once a year, I have to use a piece of cable to clean out the drains. When they clog, you will get water leaking out of the ceiling light fixture. It usually leaks out when we make a turn and one of us winds up with water in our lap.

Just a word of warning, don't use compressed air to clean the drains. The drain hoses are made from several pieces of tubing connected with friction fit connectors. Compressed air could separate a connector and drain the water into your ceiling or window pillar.

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a ton of issues with my H3 sunroof and the dreaded drain tubes. Nothing so far with the Z71. I'm not gonna lie, I'd prefer it didn't have a sunroof.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 teens very close in age, well the oldest just turned 21 but..... my oldest has ripped a headliner from a car from driving around with the sunroof open all the time, costly repair, of course a broken belt took out the engine before we ever had to address. My cars that he drove he'd leave the sunroof open and I had water get in my Jeep I had previously. When we bought him a car, a used Jetta, we searched until we found one without a sunroof. I have a teen daughter with a Jeep Liberty with a sunroof - took it through a car wash with the sunroof open - my youngest and I can still laugh till we cry over that one. Ugh! They don't see much use, I think they are stupid, to be honest, I think depending on your location, they are just one more thing that can fail.
To be fair, in these stories it wasn't the sunroof that failed. But I think that was part of your point.

If the sunroof were an a-la-carte option I probably wouldn't order it either though.

Ben_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2005 Buick Rainier (same platform as a Tahoe) had the moonroof stick in the open vent position due to the plastic mechanism breaking and jamming the sliding mechanism. I bought a repair kit off a popular Internet auction site and the parts looked identical to those that came from the factory. I found some videos on YouTube about how to install the roof repair kit and was able to restore the roof to normal operation. The repair required the removal of the headliner and the moonroof assembly, which was not so much difficult, as it was time consuming. I deviated from the videos some, as I just dropped the headliner instead of trying to remove it. I used ratchet straps over the roof and through the windows to create a sling to hold the headliner. Then, removed the moonroof assembly, installed the kit, and put it back in. The kit cost me about $120 or so, but if I had it installed at a dealership, or sunroof shop, the labor cost would have been off the chart. During my research on this problem, I found info on forums indicating estimates over $1,100 for the repair. I found a lot of debris in the track during the repair, which I attribute to the roof being left open in the vent position to help keep the vehicle interior cool on hot days. We are more careful about that now, especially when it's windy/dusty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts