Summit or Tri Coat Frost White (in my situation)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm undecided on which white to go with in my situation. I currently drive a 2020 Lincoln Navigator L and did a FULL chrome delete (black vinyl wrap over chrome) with black rims on the Pristine White exterior color. It's a metallic white much like the Tri Coat on the Yukon I believe. I keep looking at videos and pictures online of the Tri Coat and Summit to try and decide. I know the difference between the two but I'm just having trouble visualizing given what I'm thinking about doing on the Yukon XL.

My plan is to get the 22" black w selective machining wheels on the Denali package. I'm not sure I love them but I like that they have a bit of an aluminum look and a bit of a black look. Wasn't sure I wanted an all black rim this time around (although I like them on the Navigator L I have). I plan to get the black badging for certain, but I'm thinking of leaving the rest of the chrome on the car (and if I don't care for the mixed look, I will go full chrome delete with black on all the chrome).

I'm just wondering, given all I've said about rims etc, which white you would choose? I'm almost thinking the summit white looks better with the huge Denali grille and maybe offsets/contrasts the black on the wheels and badges a little bit better? But in general I know I prefer the metallic white look a bit better than appliance white. I don't know ... the more I look at pics the more confused I am.

Any input VERY welcome. I'm going with the Teak (light cream/tan/brown) interior if that helps at all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm undecided on which white to go with in my situation. I currently drive a 2020 Lincoln Navigator L and did a FULL chrome delete (black vinyl wrap over chrome) with black rims on the Pristine White exterior color. It's a metallic white much like the Tri Coat on the Yukon I believe. I keep looking at videos and pictures online of the Tri Coat and Summit to try and decide. I know the difference between the two but I'm just having trouble visualizing given what I'm thinking about doing on the Yukon XL.

My plan is to get the 22" black w selective machining wheels on the Denali package. I'm not sure I love them but I like that they have a bit of an aluminum look and a bit of a black look. Wasn't sure I wanted an all black rim this time around (although I like them on the Navigator L I have). I plan to get the black badging for certain, but I'm thinking of leaving the rest of the chrome on the car (and if I don't care for the mixed look, I will go full chrome delete with black on all the chrome).

I'm just wondering, given all I've said about rims etc, which white you would choose? I'm almost thinking the summit white looks better with the huge Denali grille and maybe offsets/contrasts the black on the wheels and badges a little bit better? But in general I know I prefer the metallic white look a bit better than appliance white. I don't know ... the more I look at pics the more confused I am.

Any input VERY welcome. I'm going with the Teak (light cream/tan/brown) interior if that helps at all.
One guy on here bought a metallic white and got regular white even though the paperwork says otherwise. Check with him to see if anything has changed.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me personally, there is no way in hell i would get the summit white….no matter what you plan on doing with blacking stuff out and deleting chrome etc.

wwolfe

Reaction score
i have had several pearl white / tri coat GM vehicles. My daughters Impala is tri-coat white. She had a battle with gas station concrete barrier and lost. Tried painting just the door and tri-coat never matches....had to blend entire side of car and paint is not cheap given 2 stage. The tri-coat white looks great and cool color,but if you get in an accident or have to do paint work it is a pain to match. just my .02

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had several pearl white / tri coat GM vehicles. My daughters Impala is tri-coat white. She had a battle with gas station concrete barrier and lost. Tried painting just the door and tri-coat never matches....had to blend entire side of car and paint is not cheap given 2 stage. The tri-coat white looks great and cool color,but if you get in an accident or have to do paint work it is a pain to match. just my .02
I definitely agree it is a pain for body shops to get that color (or any metallic color in general) perfectly matched. However it is certainly doable. My wife hit a deer a few years back with her ‘16 white tri coat denali, did roughly $8k in damage mainly on the side but also on front bumper. Got it all fixed and looked great. Everything matched perfectly. Less than a half year later, same thing! Another $8k deer repair, pretty much same side all over again. Used a different body shop that time because i was a little upset about a few issues with the first shop (overspray all over under the vehicle and on the power steps, sanding dust all over inside the vehicle and under the hood etc.). They also matched the paint perfectly. I am a stickler about that stuff and was definitely looking for flaws and different shades of paint.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tri-coat looks more yellowy or faded. The summit is a bright white. I think that contrasts more with black.

Bzmuch102

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For what you are trying to do I would go summit I own a tri coat and honestly black really doesn’t work with it

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll throw my comments in to make things extra confusing for you given most are leaning to Summit White lol. I just purchased a 2022 Denali with Tri-Coat white. I actually think Black would go really well with it. I fully intend on slapping black/machined face GM wheels on it at some stage but also am very happy with the silver stock 22's. I expected it to be much more "creamy" in person but it still has a nice white appearance and doesn't come off very creamy, at least to me it doesn't (in the eye of the beholder I guess).

The one thing I always wondered about the Summit White, it is the only color GM does not charge for. Is that because it is the standard base coat for all colors and rather than adding another coat of paint, they just clear over it? I don't know the answer, but the metallic white definitely has a really nice rich appearance that I think would be complemented well with a set of black/machined face wheels. If I went with black wheels I would probably have the window trim wrapped in black and leave the rest of the silver accents.

Just my .02.

terptahoe

Reaction score
I had the same debate. Looked at a million pictures online of both. Decided to see if I could go find one in the wild. Found a summit white Yukon yesterday and said to myself if I go see this in person and don’t think it looks good or I don’t like it for some reason I’ll go find a frost white to compare to. Otherwise, I’d prefer to save $1k unless I disliked the free option. I really liked the summit in person - think it’s a bright crisp white which would look awesome with black. Im sure the frost white is a pretty color. Unless they are standing side by side not sure you’d be able to tell the difference from 20 feet away. Go see them in person it’s the only way to make a decision.

Attachments

• FBAE6C23-3400-40BA-957B-4E1568018437.jpeg
    FBAE6C23-3400-40BA-957B-4E1568018437.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 21