Suggestions to improve bad suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post. Cheers.

I have a 2017 Tahoe LT with 4x4, 20 inch wheels, max tow package, auto air ride suspension. I've read that all of these options have a negative impact on my ride quality, and in fact my ride is extremely firm and bouncy. I actually love the way it rides for highway cruising, no complaints there. But as soon as I have to go over a speed bump in a neighborhood or take a mild dirt road, things get violent in my cab. Its actually unbelievable a $60k vehicle could be sold with such a poor ride.

Last straw was this weekend when I rented a Ford F150 XLT for a weekend trip and felt like I was floating in heaven the whole time. I vowed to fix things, and that is why I'm here. I already have a plan to get much better tires, like BFG KO2s or Terra Grappler G2s. I am also willing to invest in upgrading the suspension, but I don't have a good understanding for what it will take. Should I get all new shocks, struts, springs at all 4 corners? Are there suspension packages that could help? Anybody else successfully solve this same problem? Thanks,

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people here converted to standard non air suspension and I think they said that it helped.
I would consider actually putting stock shocks if you wanted the best floaty cushy suspension over bad roads.
Equally as important I would consider switching to 18" wheels with Standard load tires, with great reviews such as Michelins.
While off road tires look cool, they also have stiffer sidewalls as well as being rated Light truck tires with many of them high PSI to inflate the tires.

I myself have switched from standard shocks to Bilstein 5100 front and back, while I will say that it improve the quality of the ride, I wouldnt say that it made it much more confortable.

I think its important to make the distinction between Ride Quality and Ride plushness over bad roads.

Now anyone suggesting lifting your truck and/or putting big All terrain tires telling you its going to soft things up, I would be careful

so to sum it up OEM non air suspesnion with OEM 18" with street tires. (sorry wont look crazy customized)

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people here converted to standard non air suspension and I think they said that it helped.
I would consider actually putting stock shocks if you wanted the best floaty cushy suspension over bad roads.
Equally as important I would consider switching to 18" wheels with Standard load tires, with great reviews such as Michelins.
While off road tires look cool, they also have stiffer sidewalls as well as being rated Light truck tires with many of them high PSI to inflate the tires.

I myself have switched from standard shocks to Bilstein 5100 front and back, while I will say that it improve the quality of the ride, I wouldnt say that it made it much more confortable.

I think its important to make the distinction between Ride Quality and Ride plushness over bad roads.

Now anyone suggesting lifting your truck and/or putting big All terrain tires telling you its going to soft things up, I would be careful

so to sum it up OEM non air suspesnion with OEM 18" with street tires. (sorry wont look crazy customized)

Just a quick correction on this... neither Gm nor Chevy have air suspension on their suv’s. There is air assist in back on many models, but that’s completely different compared to air suspension. And the air assist really has nothing to do with the ride quality (although the shocks they utilize may not be very good, I don’t know).

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick correction on this... neither Gm nor Chevy have air suspension on their suv’s. There is air assist in back on many models, but that’s completely different compared to air suspension. And the air assist really has nothing to do with the ride quality (although the shocks they utilize may not be very good, I don’t know).

Oops I meant to say their suspension with with magnetic ride control, indeed not at all air suspension like on some german luxo products or even ram/Jeep.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Umny0jEi4xQ&usg=AOvVaw1IxQOL0DiB5iBnc7naEsyu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwells