Successfully sleeping in a '17 Yukon XL Denali (settings/tricks discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pezman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time lurker here. I've tried sleeping in the back of my 2017 Yukon XL Denali twice now (e.g., camping, road trip) Both attempts ended poorly. I was hoping others could share their advice on what "settings" and steps to take to successfully make it through the night without waking everyone around you up.

My experience:
  • The motion security system picks up if I roll over in the night and sets the car alarm off
  • Locking the doors re-enables the security system motion sensors
  • After so many hours the ACC disables? I can't be positive, but I feel like after a while the car "take some shutdown action"
  • The car will auto-lock? Again, I was sleepy but I could have sworn some sort of passive lock occurred while I was in it even though the keys didn't leave the vehicle.
Steps I've attempted before going to bed:
  • Open the entertainment unit settings and:
    • Disable flashlights & horn when locking
    • Disable headlights auto on when unlocking (If I get up in the middle of the night and leave the vehicle to use the restroom)
  • Above the top of the center console, I must manually press the "disable motion censors" each time I lock (A pain to reach from the back)

I'm curious if anyone has a complete list of what steps you take, or what settings I can adjust to make it less painful.

I've attempted searches on this forum and others, but not come back with any insights. Please share your knowledge so I can learn!

Thanks in advance!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Someone here will be along to help with that problem.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from reading above it appears you main issue is the motion sensor or sensors so why not cover the sensor or sensors, kind of goes along with "out of sight out of mind" if you cover the sensor it can't see beyond whatever is covering it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Folks will continue to chime in.

bbster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just turn the sensor off. The switch is located in the overhead console in the front. I do this all of the time when the dog is with me and I need to get out for a short period of time and I need to lock it. works like a charm

Captain Insaino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2015 LT. I have mirrored your settings so I'm not "that guy" at campgrounds that sets off his alarm or flashes his headlights at other campers in the middle of the night. I've circumvented other issues with motion by not locking the truck. (sketchy in bear country) I also just pee in a big ol Gatoraid bottle and never open the doors. (unless my camp cooking sucks, then all bets are off)

OP
OP
P

Pezman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any other insights? My wife would prefer the car is locked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts