Suburban OEM rear view camera installation *help*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 suburban, adding an OEM rear view camera.

after removing the piece that the camera mounts to, I’m not quite sure how the camera is supposed to be attached, I will obviously need to cut out enough to fit the camera in there. What I’m not sure of is how the camera attaches to the plastic. There are no threaded holes/ clips in/ on the camera housing

image.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not much help here but others will chime in. Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
2013 suburban, adding an OEM rear view camera.

after removing the piece that the camera mounts to, I’m not quite sure how the camera is supposed to be attached, I will obviously need to cut out enough to fit the camera in there. What I’m not sure of is how the camera attaches to the plastic. There are no threaded holes/ clips in/ on the camera housing

View attachment 275365

You have to cut out the hole for the camera and then drill 4 holes to align with the 4 posts you see on your bracket.

Once those posts are through the holes you drilled they get melted and pushed down/spread out... kind of like a rivet but it is actually plastic welding.

This is a pic from when I swapped my factory camera for my Kenwood camera...
rps20210405_215856_415.jpg
Sorry, not the best pic but you can see what I'm talking about at least.
rps20210405_215923_115.jpg

Finished pic.

OP
OP
D

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have to cut out the hole for the camera and then drill 4 holes to align with the 4 posts you see on your bracket.

Once those posts are through the holes you drilled they get melted and pushed down/spread out... kind of like a rivet but it is actually plastic welding.

This is a pic from when I swapped my factory camera for my Kenwood camera...
View attachment 275471
Sorry, not the best pic but you can see what I'm talking about at least.
View attachment 275472

Finished pic.

thank you very much, got the camera installed and partially ran. Waiting for camera cable extension now. For an oem camera with harness for “full size gm suv” you’d think the wires would be long enough. I prefer oem when I can and found a company MVI that uses an oem camera with wiring to go to an aftermarket head unit. If I were to do it again I’d just get an aftermarket to put in its location. $240 and the damn wires aren’t even long enough. Plus, they hardwired the camera to the 15ish’ of wire which made re-installing the hatch piece a lot of fumbling around with all that wire on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep