Stumble at idle....ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its definately a dirty throttle body. The idle air bypass is built into it, when it gets gummed up with carbon, you have the problem of dying at idle. Ive unbolted my throttle body twice and hosed it down with carb cleaner on the front and back. I also shove a rag into the intake to soak up any spray that gets in.

the only seafoam ive ever used was in the gas tank and once through a vacuum line in the intake. If you bought the seafoam in a can, you cant use that to clean the throttle body> just get some carb cleaner, remove the bolts holding the throttle body to the upper intake and pry it down. Leave the coolant lines connected. makes it more difficult to move, but its better than dumping coolant all over the place.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'munna go with a bad alternator. Every other suggestion has been made :)

B

Yeah, I'm going to have it checked tomorrow. I figured the TB will need cleaning regardless seeing as I have a little over 100k and it has never been done. I'm just wondering if seafoam through the tb is enough do I do it in the vacuum too?

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont have enough vacuum to suck seafoam through the intake its self. I tried doing that before ;) you have to manually remove the throttle body to spray it down.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its definately a dirty throttle body. The idle air bypass is built into it, when it gets gummed up with carbon, you have the problem of dying at idle. Ive unbolted my throttle body twice and hosed it down with carb cleaner on the front and back. I also shove a rag into the intake to soak up any spray that gets in.

the only seafoam ive ever used was in the gas tank and once through a vacuum line in the intake. If you bought the seafoam in a can, you cant use that to clean the throttle body> just get some carb cleaner, remove the bolts holding the throttle body to the upper intake and pry it down. Leave the coolant lines connected. makes it more difficult to move, but its better than dumping coolant all over the place.

I bought the seafoam in a spray can. The direction tell me to spray it into the TB. It also says to open the TB and spray through the TB. I'll remove it and make sure it is nice and clean....all the way through. I won't worry about the directions to spray it into a vacuum line.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the seafoam in a spray can. The direction tell me to spray it into the TB. It also says to open the TB and spray through the TB. I'll remove it and make sure it is nice and clean....all the way through. I won't worry about the directions to spray it into a vacuum line.

I may or may not know a guy, who put a 90* elbow on the intake turned it straight up poured in the seafoam and floored it... 8 beers, seafoam, and car keys make for a bad night.

Nothing bad happend though, it was just kinda scary seeing all that smoke, and no, I didnt drive anywhere, I wasnt that drunk.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you suck a can of seafoam through the intake to clean out the carbon in the lower intake, valves and combustion chamber, its going tos moke like crazy. The worse thing that will happen is a fouled plug. I have had that happend before.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I just took my throttle body off and used CRC TB cleaner to clean the thing thoroughly, front and back.
Also used CRC MAF cleaner to clean the sensor.

OP
OP
D

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my throttle body off and used CRC TB cleaner to clean the thing thoroughly, front and back.
Also used CRC MAF cleaner to clean the sensor.

Well, I tried to pull the TB off and it wouldn't pull off easily. I only found two nuts to pull off...it seems like there should have been a third under the left side. I couldn't find one and didn't feel like spending alot of time on it (only had 15 minutes).

I just used the deep creep seafoam spray and sprayed the mess out of the tb. I turned the plate and wiped out as much as I could and then I sprayed alot through the tb. Started the truck and revved it up a few times. No smoke. Then I drove it around and it has been fine. I'll give it a few days before I call it fixed.

I do still need to clean the maf. What is CRC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo