stubborn wheel hub assembly!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apgocolts

Reaction score
i have a 03 yukon xl 1500 4x4 and i am replacing the front drivers side wheel hub assembly. i have taken out the three 15mm bolts but the dang thing refuses to come off!!!! i have tried beating it with a hammer, putting the bolts back in a few threads and pounding on them, a sliding hammer hub puller, and a full bottle of PB blast. all that and still it has not moved one bit. anyone have any advice to get it off??? please help!!!

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
I took a cold chisel to the joint where the bearing assembly and knuckle meet, it takes a bit of work, but I got mine off that way.

1882tahoe

Reaction score
I tried all those ways with no luck. What worked for me is, I used a propane torch and penetrating oil and took an air hammer with a pointed bit and put it in the bolt hole at an angle and hammered it back and forth and it came out pretty easily. I did the same for the driver side minus the oil and torch, it took a little more hammering but it wasn't bad. Good luck

black79ta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pounded mine off(sounds bad) with a 2 lb short handled hammer pounded right on the side of the hub as best as I could 2004 140k...fortunately they came right off but I did pound the hell out of them

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

another idea is ...found it on google...there is a guy that sells a tool for knocking loose the hubs. I saw that and I was planning on making one if I would not have been able to remove mine with a hammer.

OP
OP
A

apgocolts

Reaction score
went late last night and got a cold chissel and short heavy hammer. getting ready to go pound the crap out of it. hope this works!!!

black79ta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will get it. Make sure you file down the flat surface on the knuckle if the chisel mars the mating surface. Also I used anti seize on the inside surface hoping it will make easier for next time

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

When I put it back together, that is

OP
OP
A

apgocolts

Reaction score
chissel and a 2# hammer got it done. just banged on one side then the other and it came out. put some anti seize on the new one too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo