Strike??? Thoughts, insights, predictions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DuraYuk may be argumentative, and I laughed when I saw the post saying here he is trying to start another argument.

However the part is bold has been going on long before the last 3-4 years. Every political party, administration, Congress, etc. has been guilty of this because there is no actual mechanism to prevent it.
And even if there was... Would they. Its no mistake that some of the people that have gone into politics have gotten rich after being in politics.

The argument has been made by the people I know that every politician should wear a jacket like they do in NASCAR with every donor listed, and listed on their senate/congressional/judicial profile website.

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your first mistake Is making everything political. Change that channel for a minute. Try.

I'm talking about record profits. Do you know what profit means? a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.

So if everything costs more....labor...goods....materials....etc then how would their be RECORD profits ? So is that artifical inflation your seeing as a result of corporations blaming one thing then doing another? Absolutely. The pain the average person is seeing is directly related to corporate greed.

Why do you think UAW is on strike? Because the companies are making RECORD PROFIT and the labor is getting non of it.

So please step outside the bubble and look at things thru an objective lens. Look at things for how they are not how your channel sells it to you.

Here's the example:

Historically poop sells for $2 a pound. Costs me 1.50 to make it and I make .50 profit per pound.

Today poop sells for 6$ a pound. Costs 3.00 to make it I make 3.00 profit per pound = record profit. But I blame the government not my own greed.
@DuraYuk may be argumentative, and I laughed when I saw the post saying here he is trying to start another argument.

However the part in bold has been going on long before the last 3-4 years. Every political party, administration, Congress, etc. has been guilty of this because there is no actual mechanism to prevent it.
While I agree, when 80% of dollars in circulation were printed in the past 3 years I’m not sure it’s fair to say it has been business as usual. Check the M1 chart.

The problem with durayuks theory is that it assumes corporate greed came into existence in the past 3 years…were companies not profit driven before?

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree, when 80% of dollars in circulation were printed in the past 3 years I’m not sure it’s fair to say it has been business as usual. Check the M1 chart.

The problem with durayuks theory is that it assumes corporate greed came into existence in the past 3 years…were companies not profit driven before?
Covid was the perfect storm. You had people who are cash flush being told you cannot spend it or go out. Once the restrictions were lifted you had immense built up demand with relatively short supply since supply chains were disrupted. This created price gouging. As supply stabilized demand still was strong. Prices were raised people continued to buy. Even with the fed raising interest to stifle demand people continue to buy and consume. That's where the immense profits are coming from. High prices with commodities not necessarily being produced for higher costs.

It's basic supply and demand.

All things considered prices should be going back down. And they are some. But people are still consuming at a record rate and our corporate overlords are happy to take it all in. Aka record profits.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My point was that it's difficult to attribute it to any 1 particular Administration.

1695256731418.png

Between January 2016 and December 2020, M1 went from $3 billion to $17 billon. (Trump administration)

Between January 2021 and present, M1 went from $18 billion to a peak of $18 billion to about $18.5 billion as of July 2023. (Biden administration).

There's obviously a lag effect on M1 and inflation so what we're feeling now is really the effect of what happened almost 2-3 years ago.

I think even if the administrations were reversed, the M1 chart would look roughly the same. I think people tend to over-estimate the macroeconomic effect of politics/administrations.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Covid was the perfect storm. You had people who are cash flush being told you cannot spend it or go out. Once the restrictions were lifted you had immense built up demand with relatively short supply since supply chains were disrupted. This created price gouging. As supply stabilized demand still was strong. Prices were raised people continued to buy. Even with the fed raising interest to stifle demand people continue to buy and consume. That's where the immense profits are coming from. High prices with commodities not necessarily being produced for higher costs.

All things considered prices should be going back down. And they are some. But people are still consuming at a record rate and our corporate overlords are happy to take it all in. Aka record profits.

I'm not sure that's what is happening because by definition, that's deflation. What's happening right now is that inflation - the rate of increase - is decreasing. In other words, the rate at which prices are increasing is slowing down.

I think the Fed is far to optimistic in what it thinks it will need to do to get back down to the 2% inflation target. I would make the argument that we've had far too much inflation and we should be targeting 0-1%.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's what is happening because by definition, that's deflation. What's happening right now is that inflation - the rate of increase - is decreasing. In other words, the rate at which prices are increasing is slowing down.

I think the Fed is far to optimistic in what it thinks it will need to do to get back down to the 2% inflation target. I would make the argument that we've had far too much inflation and we should be targeting 0-1%.
It would be deflation if prices fell but it's just less gouging. Still high just less.

Raising interest is to stifle demand. I think it's working to an extent. Restarting of student loans will also stifle demand more. Less demand should equate lower prices.

Time will tell.

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point was that it's difficult to attribute it to any 1 particular Administration.

View attachment 409216

Between January 2016 and December 2020, M1 went from $3 billion to $17 billon. (Trump administration)

Between January 2021 and present, M1 went from $18 billion to a peak of $18 billion to about $18.5 billion as of July 2023. (Biden administration).

There's obviously a lag effect on M1 and inflation so what we're feeling now is really the effect of what happened almost 2-3 years ago.

I think even if the administrations were reversed, the M1 chart would look roughly the same. I think people tend to over-estimate the macroeconomic effect of politics/administrations.
No disagreement, I was referring to both parties contributions in the current & last administration compared to previous years.

Are you saying the profits are the result of inflation, not the cause now?

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inflation has slowed recently but its about to ramp back up with rising fuel costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076