strange start issues replaced battery alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
my 2001 Yukon 5.3 slt once in a blue moon will not start on the first try, it cranks but won't turn over or tries and fails to start but if I wait for all the lights on the dash to go out it will start99% of te time, I have replaced the battery, alternator replaced the fuel filter, and had the fuel injection cleaned. I am going to try to have the fuel injectors replaced if it is not too expensive, any other ideas on what it could be? also the spark plugs were replaced by the last owner @ 179k miles in 2017, it now as 206k miles, could the spark plugs be bad already just from age vs wear and tear?

also, it never has starting problems first thing in the morning

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess the fuel pump. As they get old and weak (like Joe Biden) they sometimes require a couple of cycles of the switch "for a while" eventually it will just die and leave you stranded somewhere. Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you turn the key switch?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed^^^. Or it could be the fuel pressure regulator which should be on the fuel rail on an 01. If you cycle the key a few times the pressure builds. You can run some checks using a cheap HF fuel pressure tester.

OP
OP
BillyfarmerO71
Reaction score
Agreed^^^. Or it could be the fuel pressure regulator which should be on the fuel rail on an 01. If you cycle the key a few times the pressure builds. You can run some checks using a cheap HF fuel pressure tester.

tanks that sound like that could be it cause yea it always starts if I let the key cycle. thanks

OP
OP
BillyfarmerO71
Reaction score
I would guess the fuel pump. As they get old and weak (like Joe Biden) they sometimes require a couple of cycles of the switch "for a while" eventually it will just die and leave you stranded somewhere. Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you turn the key switch?

Trump or Biden, Nancy or Mitch, Republican or Democrat, all the same to me, all lie and are old and only helped us when it benefited one of their goals but I don't care about politics enough anymore to worry,I am more concerned about my Yukon lol tan Biden or trump or who ever runs in 2024 but let me see a POTUS who gives out free car parts every week and than I am in on te talk lol

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start with some basic testing. Test the fuel pump pressure with a pressure gauge using the specified procedures. You can rent a gauge from most auto parts stores that rent tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator