Strange Issues. Please help a brotha out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It god rid of the check engine light and that's it.

So you still have the Stabilitrac and Traction control lights on?

Do you have any type of scanner that can look at real time data? Like live misfire counts.

Even an OBD2 Bluetooth/WiFi adapter with the Torque Pro app for your phone would work.

ds0518

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought a 2007 GMC XL Denali this wknd with 163,000 on Odometer. When test driving it ran fine with no codes or messages other than low tire indicator. On way home from dealership we stopped at gas station to check air pressure. Upon stopping it started to idle roughly and then quit and then not restart until it cooled down. Also we noticed the cruise control did not work. The button light came on but no engagement light on cluster. After getting it started again it ran fine and we drove on, along the way random messages appeared such as stabiilitrak not engaged, service traction control and hood open.

Yesterday I replaced the brake light switch and that fixed the cruise control and message went away. Drove it today at lunch and it idled for awhile and then messages appeared again and now cruise doesn't work again. Can somet help me out. Does this sound like a bad ground somewhere or ??? Thanks all. I appreciate ya.
Russell
Bad ground wire .....I had the same issue once. Clean all your ground wires

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if he had a problem with a hub then the abs light would be on or there would be brake pedal abs feedback when stopping or he would hear grinding noise, a bad hub would not trigger a stabilitrac/traction control code, just abs even though they are related the abs code would take priority.
Yes. Not disagreeing with you. Just trying to offer a proactive tip if he goes that direction.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes. Not disagreeing with you. Just trying to offer a proactive tip if he goes that direction.

I know and so do the other members know that you were offering info/help. We have thick skin. Pitch in when ever you want, especially with cognizant info like that. Lots of threads here about ground problems causing all kinds of weird things to happen. Post more please.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand and it's good info
I was just clarifying the conditions that would indicate a bad hub-versus-a stabiltrac/traction control problem, a hub could be trashed and still give a good abs reading but it would not throw a stabiltrac code without a abs code. abs reads data from the sensor in the hub's and is mostly a stand alone system, that data is also shared with stabiltrac, but stabiltrac also reads data from the shock position, transmission, engine, steering wheel, brake pedal and probably the throttle body and maybe other things. abs takes priority over stabiltrac but they do work together. If you had to do a emergency stop going straight ABS kicks in and monitors each wheel and apply's the brakes as needed to each wheel to prevent loss of traction. If you were just moving straight abs would likely be the lone factor, if you had to also swerve to avoid hitting someone or something then stabiltrac kicks in and reads the abs data, shocks, engine and steering wheel data, etc and apply's engine/transmission power as needed, same if you had to just swerve to avoid a object in the road without the brakes it still reads the abs data first and apply's the rest of data as needed usually by limiting the engine/transmission to help prevent a spin out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I forgot to say Welcome to the forum any and all information is always helpful, I certainly am part idiot and always willing to admit when I am wrong, I try absorb as much information as my brain will retain god knows I need it. lol

OP
OP
S

SDWallhanger

Reaction score
Ok changed wires today. Plugs were near new AC Delco Iridiums. Test drove. Still got the Service Stabiilitrak and Traction control Light messages. Went to another Auo Parts store and the hooked up their code reader and I got the following codes under ABS TESTS.

C561-71
C0161-00
U007300
And C090000

Help

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Code C0561 comes in two forms.

C0561-71 System disabled Information stored invalid serial data received
C0561-72 System disabled Information stored alive counter incorrect.

C codes are considered “chassis” code. This particular code is for GM and relates to the traction control system. The traction control system gets its data from the ABS system. When it detects one wheel spinning faster than the others, or one wheel locking up, it activates the traction control system. Depending on the generation of traction control, the system will activate the ABS brakes to reduces spinning, or, in later models can actually reduce engine power. Late model systems include yaw sensors and steering position sensors to detect the difference between the driver’s intention from the steering wheel and the actually direction the vehicle is moving.

In the case of this GM code, the electronic brake control module (EBCM) is what disables the traction control system or the vehicle stability enhancement system.

The code means the EBCM is receiving faulty data from other modules or is faulty itself.

C0161 code:

C0161 Possible Causes What does this mean? Faulty ABS/TCS Brake Switch (Stop Lamp Switch) ABS/TCS Brake Switch harness is open or shorted ABS/TCS Brake Switch circuit poor electrical connection

How do I fix code C0161? Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

Possible Symptoms Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Warning Light ON Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

C0161 Description The Stop lamp Switch is a normally open switch, when the brake pedal is depressed the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) will sense battery voltage. This allows the EBCM to determine the state of the brake lamps.

In other words, this is going to require some diagnostic time by someone who knows what they are doing.

Other members here that have dealt with this before will likely chime in. Give them some time to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076