Strange electrical issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a wiring diagram? Meter/ Test light? Check relay and flashers and look in fuse box for shorted fuses. My Quick diagram search didn't show a body control module, unsure if there is one. Also Possible backfeed thru trailer brakes control.

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
I think I may have found the culprit. I was checking all of the fuse blocks and when I got to the one under the dash, one of the relays was warm to the touch. I removed it and checked all of the functions as far as brakes lights, parking lights, etc. Then I took it for a test drive and the cruise worked as it should. The relay in question is the one with the screwdriver pointing to it in the picture. What baffles me is the relay was in the position that says "Rear Park Lamp (Expt) which I would guess means export? I'm posting pictures of the fuse block diagram and the relay. 0801212019[1].jpg0801212019a[1].jpg0801212048[1].jpg0801212048b[1].jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The diagram doesn't seem to match the physical layout, or maybe I'm just not seeing it right. You can swap the relay with any of those other ones that have the same number, just be sure to orient correctly.

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
The diagram doesn't seem to match the physical layout, or maybe I'm just not seeing it right. You can swap the relay with any of those other ones that have the same number, just be sure to orient correctly.
The diagram is turned 90 deg. The 5 that are darkened on the diagram were in the block. I removed the warm one and everything still functions. The trailer brake control that I disconnected was plugged into the spot that shows as "Trailer 6 way" on the upper LH of the diagram.

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
Do you have a wiring diagram? Meter/ Test light? Check relay and flashers and look in fuse box for shorted fuses. My Quick diagram search didn't show a body control module, unsure if there is one. Also Possible backfeed thru trailer brakes control.
Yes. That is what I was doing when I found the warm relay.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way you worded that you had @Fless and I confused. I was thinking you meant the fuse you were pointing to was the “EXPT” fuse, but that wouldn’t make sense according to the diagram.
Youre saying that you pulled the relay from the EXPT position and moved it to that location where you were pointing with your screwdriver. Correct?

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
The way you worded that you had @Fless and I confused. I was thinking you meant the fuse you were pointing to was the “EXPT” fuse, but that wouldn’t make sense according to the diagram.
Youre saying that you pulled the relay from the EXPT position and moved it to that location where you were pointing with your screwdriver. Correct?
Yeah, my bad. I said the wrong spot. I did find out what that relay is for though. It is for the interior lights. After removing it the interior lights didn't work, so I put a new relay in and now I have interior lights. I'll keep checking the new relay and see if it gets warm like the old one.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve your issue? Make sure when you unplug any of those grounds or harnesses that you ensure to disconnect the negative battery cable and either wrap it up or tie it off so it doesn’t slip back and make connection. You don’t want to end up like @Rocket Man having your alarm going off for no reason.

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here in a while. Yes, that problem was fixed by replacing that relay. Of course now I have another issue. My cruise control has stopped working completely. No codes or anything, but I have a remote start and it has a diagnostic feature. The remote start stopped working and the diagnostics on it says that the brakes are applied so it won't allow the remote start to work. So now I'm working on diagnosing that. It never seems to end as of late.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here in a while. Yes, that problem was fixed by replacing that relay. Of course now I have another issue. My cruise control has stopped working completely. No codes or anything, but I have a remote start and it has a diagnostic feature. The remote start stopped working and the diagnostics on it says that the brakes are applied so it won't allow the remote start to work. So now I'm working on diagnosing that. It never seems to end as of late.
Probably your brake switch for both problems. If there’s any issues with the brakes or brake lights the CC won’t work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick