Strange electrical issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
when the brake lights illuminate on their own, does the 3rd light up, or just left and right?
…I was thinking this could possibly eliminate the flasher but id need a diagram to see if that makes sense.
Tried rocking and jouncing the vehicle to see if you can get it to act up more often?

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
Thanks Rocket Man, I'll take a look. I pulled the underhood electrical center this evening looking for anything obvious, mice, etc. and nothing. Everything looked fine. No corrosion or bare wires. I find it somewhat unlikely that I am the only one who has experienced something like this, but so far no one that I have talked to has even heard of anything like this before. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
when the brake lights illuminate on their own, does the 3rd light up, or just left and right?
…I was thinking this could possibly eliminate the flasher but id need a diagram to see if that makes sense.
Tried rocking and jouncing the vehicle to see if you can get it to act up more often?
I'm not sure. When I do see it when it's parked, I just see the reflection on the garage. I was around it for over half an hour earlier hoping they would come on and nothing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He speaks the truth. Sometimes the hardest thing about fixing a vehicle is getting the problem to duplicate when needed and for a long enough period of time to pinpoint and diagnose THAT problem. Been there and done that many many many times.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I know is kinda far fetched, have you checked the wiring harness at the back of the truck? I know you can make the brake lights trigger through a backfeed of either trailer plug or even a tail light harness or plug. The tail light plugs would only make sense driving etc... sitting like you said, Id lean more to checking the trailer plug etc also.

With the switch pulled out, did the brake lights ever light up again sitting in the driveway?

As said above, the dorman ones are junk...

Also Alarm/remote start systems can wreck your mind also... Anything tapped into brake light switch is liable to cause failure or backfeed etc. isolate if at all possible.....

What brake controller are you using?

OP
OP
Partsguy61

Partsguy61

Reaction score
I talked to a tech that used to work at my dealership today and he suggested to check the wiring harness by the spare tire. He said he has seen them corrode and cause issues. When I go in on Saturday, I'll pull the spare tire down and have a look at the rear harness.
I did not disconnect the brake switch again and haven't noticed them coming on while it is parked. At least not while I was looking at it. LOL
I disconnected the trailer brake controller when it was acting up previously and never reconnected it as the trailer I use has surge brakes.
I will post up what I find after I look at it Saturday. I really hope to find something wrong back there. It will help preserve my sanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh